Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Symbian Signed V3, the start of a new era!

Does this really mean getting a free developer cert will become impossible?

Why??

Regards,

Niels

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Symbian Signed V3, the start of a new era!

No.

There is a free option like: "Open Signed - Without a Publisher ID".
    Read out following .pdf file.
    http://developer.symbian.com/main/le...ian_signed.pdf

Kiran.

Regular Contributor

Re: Symbian Signed V3, the start of a new era!

Yes. Quote:

Open Signed is an online-only signing option in which no Publisher ID is required. Developer
    Certificate signing is performed via the portal, on behalf of the developer. It provides a rapid,
    free option for one-off signing of applications for use on a single device, restricted by IMEI.

Step 1: Go to the Symbian Signed public website and access the service
    The information you provide will be encoded into a Developer Certificate which the portal will
    generate and use to sign your application. You will not be able to download the Developer
    Certificate

To me that looks like we don't get a developer certificate unless we pay for a publisher ID.

To upload a sis file to the web portal, accept legal agreements, enter an almost unreadable captcha, wait for an email response, get back to the website with the confirmation link, download the signed sisfile, just to test and see how it behaves on device will not really add to my productivity.

I do not intend to start a rant against symbian signed. I am just asking to reconsider. Please don't make independent developer life unneccesary frustrating.

Best regards,

Niels

Nokia Developer Moderator

WE gotta wait and see how it ends up working, anyway, for me it looks that it'll make development easier in general.

yucca

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    WE gotta wait and see how it ends up working, anyway, for me it looks that it'll make development easier in general.

yucca
    And i do agree with that "in general". Still, for the matter of being able to have your own devcert for your own device, my question remains: Why?

Regards,

Niels

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Symbian Signed V3, the start of a new era!

Quote Originally Posted by nlsp View Post
    And i do agree with that "in general". Still, for the matter of being able to have your own devcert for your own device, my question remains: Why?

Regards,

Niels
    One possibility could be: SymbianSigned feels that people are using Developer Certificate in wrong way. Means people are using it for commercial purpose even though it would last for 6 months of period. So i think this step will be introduced to avoid such misuse.

Kiran.

What??? We will not be able to get our own developer certificates?
    What is rapid about having to go trough that process a few hundred times when you need to test the application on phone either because the emulator fails or simple because you don't wanna use it?

I think the big concern is that devcerts are being mis-used. Not just for commercial purposes but also to allow users to install cracked applications and freeware applications. That is not what they are intended for, they are only for developers.

There is certainly a problem for freeware and hobby developers with the new system if you need to access restricted capabilities. However, you can do a lot of the development without the restricted capabilities in most cases which should significantly reduce the number of times you need to use Open Signed.

I would hope that there will be some kind of channel to get a single device devcert from another developer in the community who does have a publisher ID, or perhaps someone can set up a freeware publishing house. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to fund the cost of a publisher ID - I'd be prepared to donate. The task of identifying genuine developers is a tricky one though.

There's also the non-freeware independent developers (including me). The cost of this is now fairly low (for most countries anyway) - $200 for a publisher ID and you can get a certificate that lasts 3 years. If you genuinely expect to sell your software this shouldn't really be a barrier. The problem is then for people who can't get a publisher ID because they don't have a company. I think we need to see how the new system works before trying to fix it again though.

Sorcery

Regular Contributor

What about introducing an automatic developer certificate with a 1 or 2 day expiry? That would really be useless commercially, but would allow freeware developers to test locally.