Discussion Board

Unhappy S60 is worse than S40

I am using Nokia 6120 classic which running on S60 platform.

Altough many people said that S60 platform is much better than S40, because of expansibility and other features (e.g. S60 supports multi-tasking). To me, some of major features that S60 is not provided, that make me so disappointed.

1. Wallpaper cannot be set as full screen wallpaper.

2. Profile does not support Timer profile.

3. During phone call, no instant shortcut for start voice recording, user has to call it by menu.

4. No Countdown timer.

5. Cannot instantly stop Music Player / FM Radio by long pressing the hang key (Red button), user has to go back to Music Player / FM Radio and then press stop.

6. Cannot directly calculate Currency exchange at Standby mode, user has to go to Converter program to do it.

In fact, all above basic features are existing in S40 platform, some of features even exists in very old model (e.g. 6230i and even black and white screen Nokia 6510).
    Last edited by keithchung; 2007-11-02 at 09:54.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: S60 is worse than S40

Quote Originally Posted by keithchung View Post
    Altough many people said that S60 platform is much better than S40, because of expansibility and other features (e.g. S60 supports multi-tasking). To me, some of major features that S60 is not provided, that make me so disappointed.

1. Wallpaper cannot be set as full screen wallpaper.

2. Profile does not support Timer profile.

3. During phone call, no instant shortcut for start voice recording, user has to call it by menu.

4. No Countdown timer.

5. Cannot instantly stop Music Player / FM Radio by long pressing hang key (Red button), user has to go back to Music Player / FM Radio and then press stop.

6. Cannot directly calculate Currency exchange at Standby mode, user has to go to Converter program to do it.

In fact, all above basic features are existing in S40 platform.

I am using Nokia 6120 classic.
    Hello keithchung and welcome to the DiBo
    This is a Mobile application Developer's DIBO.

Well You can do all with S60 as well but you have to get the applications for the specific purposes installed on your device to meet your requirements.You are right that S60 doesnt come ready made with all the features we have to build/buy them and put them on the device.

Moreover its a nice suggestion to NOKIA to include more such utilty applications already incorporated in a newly bought Device.Hope that will be rolling on soon!

Best Regards
    croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Super Contributor

Hello,

People like devices pending what they have most used. I get my first S60 device when 6600 was hit. At the moment I still have S60 device and next one will also be S60 Because I have used to use it and it's also a good platform.

Just my opinion.

i used to have a E71 and went back to S40 phones, mostly because of things, which could not be compensated with FREE! software
    because i dont really see why i should buy an sms counter for 10 bucks for my 300€ phone, when a 50€ phone from the same company has this feature built in..

another thing which is really handy for me is the sender/caller name showing up in the "1 message received" infobox on a received sms or a missed call. i dont think that any software makes this possible for me.

next thing is the possibility to cancel sms while sending.. i mean, srsly, is nokia kidding me? while you press one key for this on a s40 phone, it will take you the whole way to your outbox on s60 phones. and as long as you are not sending a 1000 chars message, you wont get there in time to stop sending.

and yes.. timed profiles.. on the fun phone s40 of course.. but the "business" phone s60 has no timed profiles.....riddiculous.

Nokia Developer Moderator

We're glad that you have found a suitable phone after trying one which was certainly not meant for you. Eventually you will also find a suitable forum for sharing your experience as Forum Nokia's discussion board is certainly not the right place for such thing.

It's true, some times it takes two or more tries to get something right. Fortunately the above choices are not life time commitments ...
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite