Discussion Board

Playing MIDI hangs the S60 3rd edition FP1 emulator

I am creating a J2ME game that plays various MIDI sounds while it executes. Each time I want to playe a MIDI file, I use the following two lines:

Code:
    midiPlayer=Manager.createPlayer(getClass().getResourceAsStream(url),"audio/midi");
    midiPlayer.start();
    Sometimes, when I run the application in the S60 3rd edition FP1 emulator the emulator hangs when the application plays a midi FOR THE FIRST TIME.

Then the application execution cannot continue and I have to kill the emulator's process in the Windows Task Manager. This behaviour is not easy to reproduce. Most of the times I managed to reproduce it when the emulator was running my application for the first time after rebooting Windows.

When the application does not hang (which happens most of the times), all midi files are played without any problem.

Has anybody else encountered such a problem? Is it a bug? Is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance

George

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Playing MIDI hangs the S60 3rd edition FP1 emulator

Hello sgouros,

have you had chance to try this with some real device? There could be some difference in behaviour since emulator isn't actual device.

Regards,
    r2j7

Re: Playing MIDI hangs the S60 3rd edition FP1 emulator

Quote Originally Posted by r2j7 View Post
    Hello sgouros,

have you had chance to try this with some real device? There could be some difference in behaviour since emulator isn't actual device.

Regards,
    r2j7
    Yes I had but not so often as with the emulator. Moreover I did tried it noumerous times on the WTK emulator. It did not hang. It never hanged on a Nokia N76, Nokia 5200, Sony K750 and Sony Z710 either - but of course I could have just been lucky (as I told you this is not easy to reproduce). My guess for the moment is that S60 emulator is the problem here. I could be wrong of course and this is the reason of my posting.

You could say of course "just forget it, it runs ok on your device so why bother?"
    Well the problem is that for various reasons I NEED to have it running properly on the S60 emulator as well.

Thanks again