Discussion Board

Creating a directory in a root directory

Hello,

I have a signed midlet that attempts to create a directory in the file system by first obtaining a list of root directories using the FileSystemRegistry class.

I've tried this on two Nokia phones the N71 and the N75 and what I'm seeing is that the operation of creating the directory works fine as long as it tried to create the directory on the external memory card but not on the local file system.

So if I try to create a directory called TestDir like so,
    file:///Memory card/TestDir/ - this works, but this,
    file:///Phone memory/TestDir/ - does not work. I get an "Access Denied" exception, even though the midlet is signed and I have configured the application to have access to read and write user data.

Should I be using one of the localized directory (Nokia specific directories) instead? I'd prefer not to use a manufacturer specific system property in order to figure out where to create the directory.

Anyone know why the "Phone memory" root would not give access to create the directory?

Thanks.

Ajit

Super Contributor

Re: Creating a directory in a root directory

I have tried this path previously and worked fine for me. file:///c:/Nokia/Sounds/TestDIR/
    Also try with canWrite()of FileConnection. It Checks if the file or directory is writable.

Regards
    Gopal

Did you use one of the Nokia specific system properties, like Fileconn.dir.tones, for example? Or did you know the path existed and used a hardcoded value?

Thanks.

Ajit

Nokia Developer Expert

Should I be using one of the localized directory (Nokia specific directories) instead?
    That's precisely what you should do. The FileConnection API document details the reasons behind the use of the Nokia-specific properties, main one being that some kinds of traversal may not be allowed in some devices/platforms, which will cause security exceptions like the one you're getting.

Daniel