Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Contributor

Carbide.vs 3.0 (supporting VS 2005) released!

For all of you that have waited for an S60 development solution for Visual Studio 2005: the - long - wait is now over. Carbide.vs 3.0 is out!

So what are we delivering?

The basic positioning of the Carbide tools for C++ has not changed. Carbide.c++ is still the tool where Nokia brings out the most extensive set of productivity tools. Therefore Carbide.vs 3.0 has functionality similar to Carbide.c++ Express and does not include features such as UI designer and on-device debug.

Now that we have gotten the bad news out of the way, here is the good news:

Carbide.vs 3.0 design has focused on making the edit/compile/test-on-emulator cycle as productive as possible. To support this, 3.0 includes the following features
    - Most improvements focus on emulator debuging.
    -- You can now edit/build/debug without stopping/restarting the emulator (yes!)
    -- Unuseful debugger messages can be filtered out (such as the infamous "First-chance exception..")
    -- Improved variable data formatting
    - Faster compilation
    -- Project compilation now recognizes up-to-date resources and wastes no time on compiling them
    -- Better error handling - most errors correctly posted in Task list
    - Improvements in code writing
    -- Updated templates including support for Symbian Signed requirements etc
    -- Code snippets for Symbian OS using VSPowerToys, you can also add your own

Carbide.vs 3.0 also includes a number of other goodies:
    - Tested on Windows Vista (32 and 64 bits), check out this FNWiki page for useful info on making SDKs work on Vista: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._Windows_Vista
    - Automatic update of your project from VS2003 including help for upgrading SDKs
    - Symbian Signed support: Package and sign your application with your publisher ID for submission to Symbian SIgned
    - Improved automatic .pkg file handling - many more cases should now be automatically updated while others, such as version number and comments, are now left alone (and if you still don't like the result, you can still disable it)
    - Resources now are handled with a "compile on save" policy. The main developer benefit of this is that the header files related to resources will be immediately updated without needing to rebuild the project so that editing dependent files will pick up the updated resources via Intellisense
    - The S60 3.0 Web Services tool is now integrated with Carbide.vs 3.0
    - Support for PRJ_EXPORTS in bld.inf file
    - Project is now "code repository clean" i.e. all variable stored for the project are relative

So go and get the new product at: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...de_vs_3_0.html and tell us what you think!

Super Contributor

Re: Carbide.vs 3.0 (supporting VS 2005) released!

Don't forget to pick up the S60 SDK documentation in VS 2005 format!

For S60 2nd Ed: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...fce73f010.html
    For S60 3rd Ed: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...f24347a3c.html

Not ok Http status (302 Moved Temporarily) received as a response to the request to http://sw.nokia.com/id/49d2f167-1ba9...ide_vs_300.exe http://sw.nokia.com/id/49d2f167-1ba9...ide_vs_300.exe

Ideas?

I too have the same trouble also carbide vs for vs2003 is not present for download.

Regular Contributor

Hi guys,

I'm currently downloading the carbide 3.0 and just want to ask something.
    1) Does it mean that I can use the Visual studio IDE to create codes since it says that it supports VS 2005?
    2) I dont have NokiaPCsuite but I have SonyErrisonPCsuite, can I still used the carbide 3.0?

Regular Contributor

When i port my application to Carbide.vs 3.0 from 2.0.1, using SDK for S60 2nd FP2, there was too many errors more. I fixed which may related to SDKs changed from wins to winscw, but there is only one link error I can't fix: "error LNK2019: CBDERR"

anyone can help me with that? thanks

Super Contributor

Yes, there seems to be a problem currently with download. I've informed our web team and they are looking at it, hope to resolve it asap. Sorry 'bout that!

Romcab:
    1) Does it mean that I can use the Visual studio IDE to create codes since it says that it supports VS 2005?
    Yes, 3.0 for 2005, 2.0.1 for 2003.

2) I dont have NokiaPCsuite but I have SonyErrisonPCsuite, can I still used the carbide 3.0?
    You need Nokia PC Suite to connect to Nokia devices. From your question it seems you are developing for UIQ devices. At this time UIQ is not yet supported as there is no UIQ support package for Carbide.vs 3.0.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaCS View Post
    When i port my application to Carbide.vs 3.0 from 2.0.1, using SDK for S60 2nd FP2, there was too many errors more. I fixed which may related to SDKs changed from wins to winscw, but there is only one link error I can't fix: "error LNK2019: CBDERR"

anyone can help me with that? thanks
    Hi,

Can you tell me more about the LNK2019 error e.g. the full error, Ican try and help. It is an unresolved external symbols issue. Some of the unresolved externals are virtual functions in the SDK libs that are not exported. The application is linked with a /FORCE UNRESOLVED flag, so the binary is created and it should run if everything else is ok.

Also, if you can tell us a bit more on the issues, that you had with your project upgrade, it would be great.

Thanks,
    Sampsa

I installed everythings, but i can not make new project or import a project, because Visual Studio gives "Error in project file creation mmp is not parsed". Can you help me?
    Best Regards.

Regular Contributor

Does it support On device debug? Or will it support in feature? If not, why?

Unhappy Carbide.vs3.0 abandoned Chinese 2nd Developers

C.vs3 doesn't support WINS SDKs, but there's no Chinese-Supported 2nd/2ndFp1/2ndFp2 SDKs. In China, there's still a large portion on 2nd devices based developing, so we can back to C.vs2 only.

I've opened new thread, but decide to move my request here.

I installed new Carbide.vs 3.0 to work with VS 2005.
    Also I have preinstalled SDK: S60-SDK-0616-3.0-mr.3.749.

Here some problems:
    1. TRAP/TRAPD doesn't works:

Code:
    void foo()
    {
      User::Leave(-1);
    }
    TRAPD(err, foo()); // doesnt handle
    and on screen i see "Not found!" message.
    Previously I used Carbide.vs 2.01 and VS 2003.
    Probably some switches/settings missed for VS 2005 compiler.

2. Problems with emulator. After some debug/break operations it could crash. And after some crashes it refuse to start at all (crash on start). In such case I should restart PC.
    Last edited by Igor Pchelko; 2007-11-14 at 19:33.

Regular Contributor

Does SP1 requirement is absolute Must? or we can get away without it?

what funcionality will we loose?

and does it supports UIQ? (for us it says not available in enable/disable sdks)
    Last edited by rpunskyy; 2007-11-13 at 15:43.

Super Contributor

Hi,

Some answers to the (non-technical) questions:

Q: Does it support On device debug? Or will it support in feature? If not, why?

A: No, on-device debug is not supported and currently no plans to support it. Many reasons for this, one being that it requires access to Visual Studio functionality that so far has not been available to Nokia. Also, Carbide.c++ is the focus of our tools effort so expect to see the most advanced features there.

Q: C.vs3 doesn't support WINS SDKs, but there's no Chinese-Supported 2nd/2ndFp1/2ndFp2 SDKs. In China, there's still a large portion on 2nd devices based developing, so we can back to C.vs2 only.

A: Yes, unfortunately it was technically impossible to support WINS SDKs with Visual Studio (yes, that is the case) so we had to drop support for WINS SDKs. If you are targeting S60 2nd Edition and require WINS language SDKs you should stay with VS 2003 and Carbide.vs 2.0.1.

Q: Does SP1 requirement is absolute Must? or we can get away without it?

A: As VS SP1 fixes a ton of bugs and stuff, we have not tested the product with the basic version and will make no effort to fix any issues that are not reproducible on SP1. Having said that, I cannot really see why you would not upgrade to SP1 as it is free?

Q: Does it supports UIQ?

A: At this time no (there is on unfortunate inaccuracy in the installation guide for this). UIQ support for Carbide.vs 2.0.1 was done by UIQ. Also for Carbide.vs 3.0 Nokia will not make a QUI support package either so this is up to UIQ in the end.

One technical note: For emulator builds we use the Visual Studio linker. That linker is more picky with the syntax of system libraries than the old VS linker or the Nokia linker. This can result in linker errors due to this pickiness. If you encounter such errors, check out the documentation on how to filter linker error messages. We already filter some of the messages, if you suspect that you have an "incorrect" linker error you can filter that out. The online Help should be quite helpful in this respect.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your answers, i couldn't find the documentation you talking about to filter linking, can you point it out please?

currently i have all of the static libraries building, but when it comes to linking i get errors...

thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast