Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

860820 - Error creating session

hi
    when i go to debug my application on Nokia N80 device, Carbide.c++ v1.2 generates the following error:

Error creating session: The Carbide.c++ Debugger Engine does not have a Machine object that supports the executable.

and when i go to just run it, it terminates without running!
    i used Symbian 9.3 S60 3rd Ed. FP2 SDK and GCCE to make the .SIS. it runs in the emulator with no problem.
    what's the problem and how can i resolve it?
    thx

Super Contributor

Re: 860820 - Error creating session

See http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...72&postcount=5

Use the correct SDK for the device.

Regular Contributor

thx 4 reply
    i'm going to read the post, but in brief let me know:
    u mean this SDK is not appropriate for N80?

Regular Contributor

i followed the link and i got this:
    using older SDK's results in applications which are compatible with more devices including older ones and causes them don't fail on them. u mean upgrading SDK's is not necessary and is less efficient unless the new features in them are really wanted to be used. right?
    if so, what is ur suggestion about the SDK to be used for N80? i'm not going to release an application to be compatible of all versions of mobiles. i just want to run my program on N80.
    by the way, my application is run with the same SDK on emulator with no problem. this is not enough to say the SDK is appropriate for N80 which is of S60 series?
    thx

Super Contributor

Of course your application is going to work on the emulator - its a FP2 emulator. Find an FP2 phone and it might work - there could be other issues in your application such as insufficient stack space or data alignment issues that cause the application to crash on a real device.

Your device is base 3.0 device (http://www.symbian.com/phones/nokia_n80.html)

"u mean upgrading SDK's is not necessary and is less efficient unless the new features in them are really wanted to be used. right?" - yes/sort of...

You need to think of it as "Which is the lowest/oldest device I want the application to work on" and then choose that SDK.

The only developer contract Nokia give is that 3.0 applications will work on 3.1 and 3.2 devices, NOT the otherway round, irrespective of whether or not you use the new features or not. This applies to the SDK's as well.

Where people get confused (as in the post I quoted) is they seem to think that upgrading the SDK will automatically provide the new features to devices that were engineered before the features were even thought of or contemplated.

Regular Contributor

i certainly don't think that releasing new SDK's will bring new features to the old mobile phones, as well as most people! how do u think so?!
    "Find an FP2 phone..." - isn't N80 an FP2 phone? i expect FP releases just enables us to USE the previously enabled features of the corresponding devices.
    "insufficient stack space or data alignment" - about running the application, u might be right. but it even doesn't debug the program. so, i conclude the procedure of creating the debug session encounters a problem. and like to know what's the problem, please.
    thank u for the link, i'm going to read it. but, what's base 3.0, if it's not explained in the link, please? don't forget that i'm still a newbie.
    lowest/oldest device i want the application to work on in N80 as well as the highest/newest one.
    "whether or not you use the new features or not" - new features of 3.1 or 3.2 devices are not available in 3.0 SDK's! right?
    thank u for the reply, and i'm anxiously looking forward to hear from u about the problem.

Super Contributor

I think you are just going to have to accept my advice: The N80 is a 3.0 device with no feature pack or in "Noia speak" "initial release"
    (Try this link http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N80)

"lowest/oldest device i want the application to work on in N80 as well as the highest/newest one.
    "whether or not you use the new features or not" - new features of 3.1 or 3.2 devices are not available in 3.0 SDK's! right?"
    - correct (3.0 SDK). I think you are getting also confused about the terminology, there is no 3.1 and 3.2 labels, these are internal to Nokia. They are termed FP1 and FP2 with the corresponding SDK equivalent.

See 2.0 in this link (http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._Symbian_OS%3F) which explains the numbering system.

So build it using the 3.0 MR SDK - its that simple.
    Personally I suggest start by using the correct SDK then fix the bugs from there.

Regular Contributor

as a conclusion, do u mean i've to use this SDK instead?:
    S60-SDK-0616-3.0-mr.3.749.zip
    and FP2 is not suitable for N80 and i can't debug my program by using this SDK, right? u mean FP2 is not designed for N80 and doesn't support it anymore. in other words, it has not backward compatibility, or better to say, it's not essentially a newer version of FP1 or MR, right?
    as a newbie i've to follow ur instructions

Super Contributor

That is the correct SDK

There are no phones currently even anounced for FP2, so no, your N80 will not be able to run FP2 applications.

FP2 is not guaranteed to be backwardly compatible with earlier devices, however applications written for and built with earlier versions of the same major release (3.x) will work on the FP2 devices.

FP2 is an enhancement to the FP1 and MR SDK's in that it for example provides new API's for location services as well as having some more fundemental changes at the Symbian/hardware level such as faster device startup

Regular Contributor

ok, thank u 4 ur assistance. i just downloaded the file and am going to test it and i will give u the result of what will happen in my side. i will appreciate more assistances in case of any problem.
    thanx in advance.

Regular Contributor

hi
    i downloaded this file:
    S60-SDK-0616-3.0-mr.3.749.zip
    then unzipped it to a folder and ran setup. it fails with the following error:

Unhandled Exception
    Error Number: 0x80040706
    Description: Object reference not set
    Setup will now terminate.

with just an OK button. what's the problem and how can i resolve it?
    thx

Regular Contributor

although i'm not able to run the application on device by using carbide directly nor debug it, i may install the application by using the generated .sis file.
    i wonder if N80 is not an FP2 device, why the installed application runs successfully.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Error creating session

Quote Originally Posted by ilostmyid2 View Post
    i wonder if N80 is not an FP2 device, why the installed application runs successfully.
    It is not necessary that your application will not run. There are chances of that. However the major OS version is 9, so there is a general compatibility, as long as you are lucky enough to not use incompatible/changed/fixed/simply non-existing API-s and features.
    Given the fact the N80 has been announced in the end of 2005 (http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N80), and it uses Symbian OS 9.1, "S60 3rd Edition (initial release)", and the most recent device on http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices is the N82 (http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N82 - announced today), which is still "Symbian OS v9.2" and "S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1", you might consider starting to believe at some convenient time, that N80 is not an S60 3rd edition FP2 device.

Regular Contributor

Re: Error creating session

ok, it was just a wonder, not to not to accept or believe that N80 is not FP2.
    as i said b4, i couldn't uninstall FP2 nor install MR on the same machine. since i need my Windows, i prefered to use a VM for this purpose. a new clean Windows is now available. i installed carbide and then MR. it gives me more options. the emulator naturally works well. but there're four other options which i don't know which one to use for the device. these are:
    Phone Debug (ARMV5)
    Phone Debug (GCCE)
    Phone Release (ARMV5)
    Phone Release (GCCE)

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Error creating session

Quote Originally Posted by ilostmyid2 View Post
    ok, it was just a wonder, not to not to accept or believe that N80 is not FP2.
    as i said b4, i couldn't uninstall FP2 nor install MR on the same machine. since i need my Windows, i prefered to use a VM for this purpose. a new clean Windows is now available. i installed carbide and then MR. it gives me more options. the emulator naturally works well. but there're four other options which i don't know which one to use for the device. these are:
    Phone Debug (ARMV5)
    Phone Debug (GCCE)
    Phone Release (ARMV5)
    Phone Release (GCCE)
    ARMV5 target requires you to have (buy) the RVCT (RealView Compiler Toolkit) from ARM. It costs money, but optimizes better than the free GCCE (GNU Compiler Collection, E is probably for Embedded or so) compiler that comes with the SDK (it does not install automatically, but the SDK's group contains a link to it - Start Menu/All Programs/S60 Developer Tools/.../.../Tools/CSL Toolchain (GCCE) - Install, where).
    So you should choose GCCE.
    Phone Debug and Release differs in that you can debug the code on the source-code level on the device or not. Phone Debug binary contains additional data for enabling the debugger to show happenings in the C++ code, variables, etc. So it produces a relatively large binary (you can simply check both, to see the difference), and it is less optimized too (for example the compiler cannot re-order instructions, since you can decide to track execution on a line-by-line basis, thus it has to preserve the source-level execution order).
    You probably want to go for "Phone Release (GCCE)", since on-device debugging is usually not possible from VMWare/VirtualPC/etc. due to the lack/incompleteness of USB emulation.