Discussion Board

Unhappy I cannot get the IMEI in a Nokia 6131 NFC

Hello, I need to obtain the IMEI code of a Nokia 6131 NFC mobile (S40 3rd Edition) from Java(J2ME). I have followed the instructions in some Forum Nokia documents and white papers, and I have used a call to:

System.getProperty("com.nokia.mid.imei");

According to the Nokia documentation, this only works in S40 3rd Edition mobiles (as 6131 NFC is) and aditionally the MIDlet must be signed with a CA certificate to manufacturer or operator domain.

I have followed these instructions signing my MIDlet with a software certificate from VeriSign, but unfortunately I cannot obtain such IMEI (result of the function always null). Investigating by myself I discovered that besides the sign is mandatory to include some specific MIDlet-Permissions inside the JAD. However, I have not found any proper permission for obtaining the IMEI in Nokia.

Please, anybody from Nokia could help me? At least, I need to know if the IMEI can be obtained from Java in the Nokia 6131 NFC or in the other side this mobile is an exception inside the S40 3rd Edition mobiles... I need to know it as soon as possible.

Thanks for your help in advanced.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: I cannot get the IMEI in a Nokia 6131 NFC

Hello dlopez,

how about these:

System.getProperty("phone.imei");
    System.getProperty("com.nokia.IMEI");

Source:
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...MEI_in_Java_ME

Regards,
    r2j7

Hi r2j7, first of all, thanks for answering.

Unfortunately, it does not help me so much, because I had tested those properties "phone.imei" and "com.nokia.IMEI" yet, but the result was the same (null). I only reported "com.nokia.mid.imei" in my post because it was the most mentioned string in all the documents I visited.

I think it can be a permissions problem, I guess.... ?

Super Contributor

Your initial message contained the answer

"According to the Nokia documentation, this only works in S40 3rd Edition mobiles (as 6131 NFC is) and aditionally the MIDlet must be signed with a CA certificate to manufacturer or operator domain."

The MIDlet has to be signed to operator or manufacturer domain in order to get this information.

Hartti

Quote Originally Posted by hartti View Post
    Your initial message contained the answer

"According to the Nokia documentation, this only works in S40 3rd Edition mobiles (as 6131 NFC is) and aditionally the MIDlet must be signed with a CA certificate to manufacturer or operator domain."

The MIDlet has to be signed to operator or manufacturer domain in order to get this information.

Hartti
    Ok Hartti. Does it mean that ONLY manufacturers (Nokia) or operators (whatever) can actually make MIDlets that are able to get the IMEI by this way? Or there is another alternative way for a user to give such domain to a certificate? I'm afraid not

Please excuse my questions about it but I need to know it clearly. And thanks a lot for your help.

Super Contributor

Sorry for not being clear,

In Nokia's case, MIDlets have to be Nokia branded or developed by Nokia to get manufacturer signing.
    The requirements for signing by other manufacturers and operators vary. Usually some kind of partnering is required.

Not possible to change the domains of the certificates

Hartti

Quote Originally Posted by hartti View Post
    Sorry for not being clear,

In Nokia's case, MIDlets have to be Nokia branded or developed by Nokia to get manufacturer signing.
    The requirements for signing by other manufacturers and operators vary. Usually some kind of partnering is required.

Not possible to change the domains of the certificates

Hartti
    Never mind Hartti, probably it's me that I do not want to face the truth...

Well, what a pity! But at least now I can stop wasting my time, so thank you very much for your help, really.

Regards,

Domingo.