Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Synchronous TCP connection to server

Hi!

I have a server written in C++/CLI and I want to communicate synchronously with it. In a nutshell, the symbian client (s60 3rd) connects to the server and sends request to it, the server handles these requests and sends back some data. After this, the client may send another request or close the connection. In other words the connection would be strictly synchronous.

Is it okay for me to just create an RSocketServ and RSocket and then socket.Write() and socket.Read() the data to/from the server? What about the second parameter to these functions? Is it correct to pass a TRequestStatus object to them and then call User::WaitForRequest(status); after every Read/Write? This should make the calls blocking, right? As you can see I am not very comfortable with Active Objects (yet).

Thanks for any pointers you can give me!

//Sebastian Ahlman

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Synchronous TCP connection to server

Quote Originally Posted by ahlmans View Post
    Is it okay for me to just create an RSocketServ and RSocket and then socket.Write() and socket.Read() the data to/from the server? What about the second parameter to these functions? Is it correct to pass a TRequestStatus object to them and then call User::WaitForRequest(status); after every Read/Write? This should make the calls blocking, right? As you can see I am not very comfortable with Active Objects (yet).
    For experimenting, it is OK. However if you start experiencing WSERV 12 panics, remember that a GUI application is expected to answer events originating from the Window Server in a limited time. If you spend too much time with WaitForRequest-s, the Window Server will assume that your application is completely hung, and shuts it down with the above panic reason.
    Note that panic codes are not visible by default, check http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ded_panic_code in order to enable them.