Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Code for test MEM-01

Hi,

I would like to know how I can check the memory at startup to pass the mem-01 test. I have seen some parameters in the carbide, opening the mmp file (Minimum heap size, Maximum heap size, Stack size), and I don't know if I should use these parameters to pass this test.

Thanks in advance,
    Benji.

Regular Contributor

Re: Code for test MEM-01

I have seen that I can use this code to check it:

Free RAM:
    TInt freeRam = 0;
    HAL::Get( HAL::EMemoryRAMFree, freeRam );

Thread`s heap memory:
    User::Available();

but what can be considered low memory? which free memory: RAM, thread`s heap?

BR,
    Benji.

Regular Contributor

Hi;
    The easy way:
    You can use User::Heap().AllocSize(); when your app has initialized fully to see how much memory you have used. Once you know, you can try to allocate this amount of memory right at the start of your app and then free it again. If this allocation works, you can be fairly hopeful the rest of you initialization will complete without running out of memory. (Or you could use User::Available(), not tried it.)

The hard/proper way:
    Make sure you handle every out of memory in an elegant way.

MEM-01 is about how you handle out of memory errors. Basically, the test goes like this: it lets your app run multiple times, each time failing a different allocation. So it gives your opportunity fail at almost every place. If it leaves/panics with a memory error too often, it fails.

Yes, we are talking about the heap.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by nigel.brown View Post
    Hi;
    The easy way:
    You can use User::Heap().AllocSize(); when your app has initialized fully to see how much memory you have used. Once you know, you can try to allocate this amount of memory right at the start of your app and then free it again. If this allocation works, you can be fairly hopeful the rest of you initialization will complete without running out of memory. (Or you could use User::Available(), not tried it.)

The hard/proper way:
    Make sure you handle every out of memory in an elegant way.

MEM-01 is about how you handle out of memory errors. Basically, the test goes like this: it lets your app run multiple times, each time failing a different allocation. So it gives your opportunity fail at almost every place. If it leaves/panics with a memory error too often, it fails.

Yes, we are talking about the heap.
    So, I have to assure that my application will be able to alloc enough memory, regardless of the performance of the OS. Because the free ram will affect to this performance. And, of course, I have to manage correctly all KErrNoMemory leaves.

Thanks Nigel.