Discussion Board

Thai language in WAP

Hello
    As i am quite new to WAP as such, i am currently building up my own small WAP site, which is hosted at tagtag.com. I live in Thailand, but i speak german and english, my boyfriend is a thai. So i want to have the site in all three languages. When i now make a WAP site on tagtag's online editor (sorry i can't program in wml) and use thai input, it is displayed correctly in the document itself as well as on tagtag's WAP emulator. However, the same site on the WAP phone (here 6510, asian model) comes up as "crazy signs" but not thai letters. The phone itself has thai menu and thai SMS enabled. So... is WAP in general not thai (unicode??) capable or is it just my phone? I didn't test with other phones. And i don't think it's the server as it is displayed correct on the emulator. I would be very glad if someone could answer this for me... my e-mail is boythanh@hotmail.com . Thank you in advance... your Thanh

Nokia Developer Expert

RE: Thai language in WAP

Hi!

Insert this string to the xml-header: encoding="utf-8". The full header would then look like <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

And then have your content in UTF-8. Should work

sannah/Forum Nokia Developer Support

Nokia Developer Expert

RE: Thai language in WAP

Hi!

Please use Nokia Mobile Internet Toolkit 3.1 for creating and testing your application. It has a simulator for Nokia 6590, which is an XHTML phone, but supports WML as well and it has the same screen size as Nokia 6510. With that simulator you can immediately view your code output. Nokia Mobile Internet Toolkit 3.1 and Nokia 6590 simulator can be downloaded for free from forum.nokia.com under Technologies/Browsing/Tools.

Your code can be normal WML, just have the texts in UTF-8. There are editors that you can create text in UTF-8. And it looks like normal text, but can not necessarily be viewed in other editors.

Hope this help, unfortunately I don't know how else to explain this.

sannah/Forum Nokia Developer Support

P.S. When you're testing it with the toolkit, place your files to your hard disk, and then view it by writing to the URL box "file://yourfile.wml"