Discussion Board

Thread: timed refresh?

Hybrid View

Super Contributor

timed refresh?

hey all,

my project at the moment is generating realtime rates in WML. this is done from a cgi call.

im having trouble getting wap browsers (including 7110s emu and HW) to read from a server rather than the cache. im including all relevant http headers (i think):

Content-type: text/vnd.wap.wml
    Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT
    Last-Modified: %a, %d %b %Y %H:%M:%S GMT
    Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate
    Pragma: no-cache

where last-modified has the current date.

a solution that has just occured to me is to pass an extra parameter to my cgi call, a random number that i dont need other than to "mangle" the URL called. this should work, although im still wondering how to to this with "normal" pages.

another problem im having is getting the page to refresh automatically. assuming that the page will now be fetched from the server rather than the cache, an ontimer event would be used to achieve this. however, im having a lot of trouble the timing aspects of this event - the nokia reference says timer is mesured in 1/10 secs, but it seems to be way faster than this....anyone got a good rule of thumb (or even another way) of doing this?

thanks for your time...

SHak

Posted by Shak Shaikh, shakil.shaikh@db.com
    on May 30, 2000 at 19:07

Super Contributor

RE: timed refresh?

Posted by Jaime Teng, jsteng@qinet.net
    on May 31, 2000 at 04:36

I would rather suggest you to use:
    Cache-control: no-cache
    Expire HTTP Header is not tested and I dont know if it would work with Nokia WAP Gateway. Of course you may be working on a different wap gateway.

You can read some of my findings at:
    http://wap.com.ph/nokiafaq/

2. You are correct in adding extra parameter to the URL to force the phone to access new page; by doing this, you actually do not have to worry about caching anymore.

3. lastly, 7110 phones DO NOT AND WILL NOT load/fetch a page that is currently on display. However adding extra parameter that constantly changes every time as you mentioned will solve this problem.

We currently implement all of these three things on ALL of our applications. SO far, 7110, R3230, S35, T2288 including toolkits and wml browsers works without problem.

Timer IS almost 1/10 of second true for 7110 phones. The counting STARTS the moment the "page is on display" - including the WBMP that may come with it. However, some phones implement ontimer differently - ie, some phones would start counting the moment the WML page was fetched even if the WBMP have not arrived yet. - at least, this is what I've seen on someone using Siemen S35 accessing one of our applications