Discussion Board

Question Question about Format plug-in and Codec plug-in development

We need to develop Format plug-in and Codec plug-in on symbian.
    But I found there are some restriction in Format plug-in and Codec plug-in development as shown in this URL:
    http://www.symbian.com/developer/tec.../faq_0873.html
    Could you tell me how to get the right to develop these plug-in and what's the cost? Thanks.

Re: Question about Format plug-in and Codec plug-in development

Hi,

Is that the correct link? It talks about restrictions on the plugin APIs prior to version 7.0s. Anyone can develop format and codec plugins now. The issue is how to get a device to use them without working with a handset manufacturer. I don't believe there are any generic controller plugins on Nokia phones that will pick up new format or codec plugins in the system and use them automatically. Also for your plugins to be used by built in media players they will need a lot of capabilities - you would have to check with the device manufacturer which ones.

I don't think Symbian really intend for anyone but licensees and their sub-contractors/partners to write MMF plugins.

If you can share what you want to acheive by writing these plugins then perhaps I can help further.

Sorcery

Thank you.

The situation is that we need to design a player on mobile phone which could play a special type of video. We will work on S60 3rd SP1. After read some materials about s60 3rd, we guess we could use the MMF and design some plug-ins to achieve our objective.
    But we are not sure if we need to design control plug-in, format plug-in and source-sink plug-in for this player. We also wonder what licence we need to get if we want to make these plug-ins work and how could we get these licence.

It is not necessary to use MMF plugins for your own player if that is the only thing that will use them.

However, if you find the multimedia framework useful for developing your application then there is no reason why you shouldn't use it and as far as I know there is nothing to licence.

The minimum you need to implement for that is an MMF Controller plugin (that's the one that provides the Play/Stop/Pause etc interface). It's then entirely up to you if you want to split the format decode & codec into separate plugins.

There is already a CMMFAudioOutput sink plugin (or you can use CMMFDevSound directly) and for video you will probably want to use Direct Screen Access.

Hope that helps,
    Sorcery

Thank you again.

We have got another requirement. We need to play that video file in remote server using our prvite network protocol. We wonder if we could implement these requirement based on MMF plugins? And we wonder if using MMF plugins could bring us some advantage?

We have done some research on the Symbian and find that we may need MultimediaDD capability to develop the player. We wonder if the MultimediaDD capability is required?

Yes, you could implement your network protocol in a source plugin. It only really brings you an advantage if you want to use the framework.

Implementing things via MMF plugins give you a ready built tested and efficient framework in which to develop your core decoding and sychronisation functionality. It also restricts you design choices slightly and there will be some more code running as part of your system which you cannot see or debug inside.

You might need MultimediaDD. It allows you to set some priority preference settings for audio that might improve the audio. In the upcoming changes to Symbian Signed you'll find the MultimediaDD is no longer a manufacturer approved capability so it shouldn't really be an issue whether you need it or not!

Sorcery

P.S. If you require further help with your project you could contact me via email (it's enabled from my user name in the forum). I may be available for consulting or can at least point you in the direction of companies that can help.

Thank you very much. It's really helpful for us.

You're very welcome.

Best of luck with the project.

Sorcery