Discussion Board

Thread: Size of .sis

Regular Contributor

Size of .sis

HI!!

I´m a beginner, but I´ve done some application. Last time I ran one of theme into real device, size of .sis file was 11 or 12 KB.

Well, now I want to install another one, and when I build .pkg file, the sis file is 266 kbs Why is it??

Thanks in advance.

Regards!!!
    Last edited by MariaManrique; 2007-12-02 at 15:49.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Size of .sis

The size of the installation file depends on the size of the files it contains, so if you put bigger files in a sis it will be bigger in size.

Regular Contributor

At the beginning I though so, but the problem is that before the installation was ok, an now, I can not install it.

I explain it:

1º I did a application and when I tried install .sis file (250kb), it was imposible. I changed "Build target" and size of application changed to 12kb. Then, I could install it.

2º I have changed some things (but not so many) of the same app and now I want to install it, but I can not. I think the problem is the size. Am I wrong?? I have signed it with "get developper certificate" at the same method.

Thanks

1) Windows binaries ("Emulator" target) cannot be installed to the device. They are also larger than the ARM binaries, especially since most Windows-builds are debug builds ("Debug"), containing additional information, check code, etc. So use GCCE-builds for the device.
    2) Use GCCE-builds for the device.

Regular Contributor

I use "Ative build configuration" "Phone Release (GCCE)" but it doesn´t work. Any idea??

Anyway, thanks a lot wizard_hu_

So you use the GCCE UREL configuration but your SIS files includes WINSCW UDEB binaries?

Have a look at the *.pkg files that are part of your project. If the project is generated with carbide you must have a .pkg file that Carbide specific macros such as $(EPOCROOT) and $(CFG). Unless something is terribly messed-up in Carbide this *.pgk is the one that is safe and recommended to use. Make sure that if you modify it, especially if you add some files to it, you do keep the appropriate macros.

Then there might be some custom or resolved *.pkg files, which have hardcoded values instead of these macros. These files are useful for command line builds but when used in Carbide you have to make sure that they are synchronized with the build configuration.

Hope this helps!
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

THANKS ITOMUTA!!!

But my english level (and my symbian level) is low and I haven´t understood nothig, sorry

Well, my .pkg file is:
    Code:
    &EN
    #{"GetNetInfo"},(0xE927DA35),1,0,0
    %{"Maria Manrique UC3M"}
    :"Maria Manrique UC3M"
    [0x101F7961], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.exe"		-"!:\sys\bin\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.exe"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.rsc"		-"!:\resource\apps\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.rsc"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\apps\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35_reg.rsc"	-"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35_reg.rsc"
    ;"$C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.mif"
    "..\help\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.hlp"						-"!:\resource\help\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.hlp"

"..\sis\backup_registration.xml"		-"!:\private\E927DA35\backup_registration.xml"
    In this code. I select "Ative build configuration" "Phone Release (GCCE)" and built pkg file, and the -sis file created doesn´t run in the real device because its size is 270kb.

I have seen that in C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\gcce\urel I have the another application, but not the new one. WHY??? The file in this folder, is of 14 kb and it is possible to install into the phone. I mean:

C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\gcce\urel\Other_app.exe (14kb)
    C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\Other_app.exe (270kb)

The first one is right, but not second one. I don´t remerber how I get the .exe file whose size is 14 kb. I need do that with my new app.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
    Last edited by MariaManrique; 2007-12-02 at 15:48.

Quote Originally Posted by MariaManrique View Post
    THANKS ITOMUTA!!!

But my english level (and my symbian level) is low and I haven´t understood nothig, sorry
    No problem, let's see if I can do better this time.

Well, my .pkg file is:
    Code:
    &EN
    %{"Maria Manrique UC3M"}
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.exe"		-"!:\sys\bin\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.exe"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.rsc"		-"!:\resource\apps\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.rsc"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\apps\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35_reg.rsc"	-"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35_reg.rsc"
    ;"$C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.mif"
    "..\help\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.hlp"						-"!:\resource\help\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.hlp"

"..\sis\backup_registration.xml"		-"!:\private\E927DA35\backup_registration.xml"
    The line highlighted above says that the WINSCW UDEB version of the file is to be packed in the sis file. If you make it look like:

Code:
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\gcce\urel\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.exe"		-"!:\sys\bin\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.exe"
    then the file used to build the sis file is the one you need.

In this code. I select "Ative build configuration" "Phone Release (GCCE)" and built pkg file, and the -sis file created doesn´t run in the real device because its size is 270kb.
    The problem is not the size but the format. WINSCW builds binaries that are targeted to the host Intel/AMD processor. The binaries you install on device must be understood by the ARM processor. In fact you will notice that by default the GCCE output files are also big, you need to optimize the computer settings or use RVCT to get better results. However, for your current problem the size does not matter.

I have seen that in C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\gcce\urel I have the another application, but not the new one. WHY??? The file in this folder, is of 14 kb and it is possible to install into the phone. I mean:

The first one is right, but not second one. I don´t remerber how I get the .exe file whose size is 14 kb. I need do that with my new app.
    This indicates that the application cannot be built successfully, there are errors that you need to address.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

THANKS ITOMUTA!!!

No problema, vamos a ver si puedo hacerlo mejor esta vez.

Well, my .pkg file is:
    Code:
    &EN
    %{"Maria Manrique UC3M"}

La línea de relieve más arriba, dice que la WINSCW UDEB versión del archivo debe ser envasados en el archivo sis. Si hace el aspecto de:

Code:
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\gcce\urel\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.exe"		-"!:\sys\bin\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.exe"
    entonces el archivo utilizado para construir el archivo sis es la que se necesita.

El problema no es el tamaño, sino el formato. WINSCW construye los ejecutables que están dirigidos a la acogida de Intel / AMD procesador. Los binarios de instalar en el dispositivo debe ser entendido por el procesador ARM. De hecho, usted se dará cuenta de que por defecto la GCCE archivos de salida también son grandes, lo que necesita para optimizar la configuración de la computadora o el uso RVCT para obtener mejores resultados. Sin embargo, para su problema actual el tamaño no importa.

Esto indica que la aplicación no se puede construir con éxito, hay errores que tiene que atender.
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

WOW!! Your spanish is really good.

The problem continues. If I change winscw\udeb by gcce\urel I receive the next error when I build .pkg file with Active Build Configuration "Phone Release (GCCE):
    Error : Cannot find file : C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\gcce\urel\GetNetInfo_0xE927DA35.exe

Because in this folder there isn´t nothing. Oh my god....

And the problem will be the format, but the format than I need is smaller

Acabo de hecho una promesa a mí mismo de que un día voy a aprender español, para verdad

That new error was expected and as said before you must now focus on the build errors that you get when building for GCCE UREL. Solve them one by one and eventually the exe (and as a consequence the sis) will be created successfully.
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

Itomuta, it´s fantastic!!!! You´ll know perfectly spanish, but you are a crakin Symbian!! jajajaja Thanks again.

The problem was that when I built for GCCE, I didn´t realize the errors. I have solved them, and the application has been installed without problems. It´s great!!

Best regard!!! And good luck with your promise

You're most welcome.
    -- Lucian