Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Exam Preparation

Hi,
    I want to be a good symbian developer and part of my plan is to take certification. I want to ask everyone who tried taking the exam about how they prepare, books they used or site which gives mock exam. Hope you can help me...

Re: Exam Preparation

Hi,

I'm preparing for the exam at the moment.

You should find everything you need to know here (including sample questions):
    http://www.meme-education.com/

The exams - including a practice exam (which you have to pay for) are here:
    http://www.majinate.com/

The Accredited Symbian Developer Primer is the best book for the job since it was written specifically for the purpose. Symbian OS Explained is also very useful but overlaps a lot with the primer so you don't want to get both if your budget is tight.

I'd seriously suggest that you get some experience using most of the things in the exam to be sure that you understand them before taking the exam. It's particularly important to make sure you understand descriptors as that is an area a lot of people struggle with. I believe you can fail the exam on the descriptor section alone (which is fair since most of the Symbian APIs use descriptors).

Good luck!
    Sorcery

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery-ltd View Post
    Hi,

I'm preparing for the exam at the moment.

You should find everything you need to know here (including sample questions):
    http://www.meme-education.com/

The exams - including a practice exam (which you have to pay for) are here:
    http://www.majinate.com/

The Accredited Symbian Developer Primer is the best book for the job since it was written specifically for the purpose. Symbian OS Explained is also very useful but overlaps a lot with the primer so you don't want to get both if your budget is tight.

I'd seriously suggest that you get some experience using most of the things in the exam to be sure that you understand them before taking the exam. It's particularly important to make sure you understand descriptors as that is an area a lot of people struggle with. I believe you can fail the exam on the descriptor section alone (which is fair since most of the Symbian APIs use descriptors).

Good luck!
    Sorcery
    Hi,
    Thanks for answering my questions. I think I really need a lot of practice right now since I just started last month. I hope you can give me an idea/or some exercises which I can work on because I'm having a hard time thinking what to do in order to apply what I read. Good Luck

Super Contributor

As sorcery mentioned, you can get the example questions to practice and see if you are ready for the exam from www.meme-education.com

But if you're doing all this for the first time, and have only been studying a month, don't despair if those practice questions seem a bit tough. You may need to apply what you're reading in the best way possible - by reading and writing some code. Take a look at the examples in the SDK and on the wiki here, since those will provide you with some practical, working examples.

Nokia Developer Moderator

As for applying what you read you can consider also solving the problems posted here and learn more from the mistakes that others do.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    As for applying what you read you can consider also solving the problems posted here and learn more from the mistakes that others do.
    Indeed, reading questions and answers helps a lot in preparing, especially if they are about API-s you simply do not use.

Hi,

I would also echo the other poster's comments about answering people's questions here. If you don't know the answer you can research it and try out a solution. It's a good way to learn while helping others.

If you want to learn by doing your own project then I'd suggest a TFTP server & client, or if you've got more time an FTP server and client with interruptible download support. That way you should use most of the things on the curriculum (particularly if you design it to use those things on purpose) plus there are several open source examples for other platforms you could study.

I'm not aware of any such programs available for free so it might even be useful to the community if you release it as open source.

Hope that helps,
    Sorcery