Discussion Board

Accessing T9 dictionary word list from J2ME app

Heya

I'm writing an application that requires a large list of words to work with, and a bright colleague of mine suggested using the T9 dictionary instead of wasting space (and possibly exceeding download limits) by including our own dictionary.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get direct access to that word list and where there might be any info about its format and the like?

Many thanks in advance

Steve

Regular Contributor

RE: Accessing T9 dictionary word list from J2ME app

Hello Steve,

T9 dictionary is only available when you feed text in TextField and TextBox. There is no direct access to the dictionary itself as it's functionality is provided and controlled by the system software.

Regards,

Petteri / Forum Nokia.

Re: Accessing T9 dictionary word list from J2ME app

Steve,
    I hope you are writing a JavaME application. If you are using high level UI(Form for eg), you can easily implement the T9 dictionary by using TextField. If you are developing the application by using the low level canvas, u should implement the T9 dictionary, but it is not recommented since you may have to include a word file of about 80KB atleast for an efficient dictionary. so, my recommentation is to use FORM as your container instead of Canvas and develop the application so that you can get T9 in Textfied. If you are going for TextBox, you have to set it by using setCurrent(), this may cause flickering while moving from the previous set displayble object to this(so not recommented).
    If your application uses Canvas as container, you can move to TextBox or a form containing TextField by changing the Displayble object.
    My recommentation is use Form as container, use TextField whereever you require T9, use CustomItem for rich graphics screen.

Wink Re: Accessing T9 dictionary word list from J2ME app

Quote Originally Posted by pbergius View Post
    Hello Steve,

T9 dictionary is only available when you feed text in TextField and TextBox. There is no direct access to the dictionary itself as it's functionality is provided and controlled by the system software.

Regards,

Petteri / Forum Nokia.
    Thanx for that clarifification.

However, Is it possible to know/foretell when the the T9-Dictionary is called, and is it possible to come-in between before the textfield is updated? I may need to come handle the text before updating the textfield.

I am using the Low level MIDP classes and am having problems with the Nokia N95 and 7373, but the same application works with other nokia models (N70 etc) well