Discussion Board

Question [moved] Carbide Performance Investigator

Is there any "Performance Investigator" veteran out there?
    I'm currently evaluating that tool for our project. It gives me some interesting results in the "Threads" view. However the "Binaries" view is incomplete, it shows that 31.53% of the load is not matched to any binary. The "Functions" view is useless since it does not find any functions.

For the use case I'm profiling my application has a thread which shows a load over 90% during ~25 seconds.

Can I do anything to help the PI generate better output? Will it help if I profile a debug build?
    Last edited by lenclud; 2007-12-04 at 08:07.

Re: Carbide Performance Investigator

I'm definitely not a veteran and I'm not sure about your problem but here are the problems I experienced and how I solved them:

Problem 1: A warning message appeared when trying to import the .dat (compiled and collected performance info) file saying something like "Warning could not find .map file".
    Solution 1: It seemed that the relative path in my provided pkg file was not satisfying Carbide so I manipulated the pkg file to explicitly point out the application binary (.exe) location.

Problem 2: No functions NOR function calls were seen in the "Function" and "Function calls" tabs.
    Solution 2: I forgot to mark the time interval for the session to be analyzed i.e. click and mark the section (time interval) in the upper window (showing the graph).

/Magnus

Quote Originally Posted by lenclud View Post
    The "Functions" view is useless since it does not find any functions.
    Did you manage to get any real output to functions. I have been trying to evaluate it also, but 100% of functions are "Function not found"

No unfortunatly I never got anywhere with that PI "Functions" view. I did not try really hard either I'm not even sure I ever tried di97mswg tricks. Good luck with that and do let us know if you succeed.

I have the same problem.
    All functions shown as "unknown function"
    There was no warnings during .dat file import, and .pkg already has absolute path to .exe.
    And I marked the time interval for the session.

I really do not know what to do.

In Carbide.c++ 2.0 I have the same PI problems: I see my Thread, but I see "Function not found". I use the new PI SIS too.

Anyone have any troubleshooting ideas?

I can zoom in on the graph, but I don't see any function names from my app.

??? Is it a name-mangling problem with my compiler settings???

Thanks! - Nick

Did anybody solved this problem, it used to work with Carbide 1.3 but not now.

Re: [moved] Carbide Performance Investigator

Hi,
    Has anyone got any further with this? I can compile a binary with the S60 3.1 SDK for GCCE, build and run it on the target with the Profiler (Profiler Agent v2.0.2 Device driver version 1.64.5) to create a .DAT file. When importing the DAT file to Carbide, there are no errors, and I can see the binary of the EXE listed, but the Function view just shows "Function not found".
    The PKG file specified on import does list the absolute paths of the binaries (c:\symbian\9.2\ etc)

Is there any carbide trace I can turn on to see why it can't find the functions (looking for wrong MAP file?) or can we find the memory location the EXE was loaded at on target and manually specify that to use the MAP?

Re: [moved] Carbide Performance Investigator

Did anyone ever get this working? Seems like it should be plug and play. Instead it's plug and pull your hair out.