Discussion Board

Thread: Save data

Exclamation Save data

Hi! For a school research I have to develop a java mobile application which can save data. In the experiment the participants have to type messages and the time a button is pressed and the according letter have to be stored on the phone or send to a PC.

I have already tried to save data in to a text file on a Nokia 6280 (with read and write permissions set on "always ask") with the FileConnection package. The application does start but it doesn't ask me if it is allowed to read/write.. And when I close it a get a error message: "Security java/lang/SecurityException Acces Denied". Which is obvious, because I didn't allow it...

Are there other ways to store or send the data to a PC? And is there a way to save or send data on a Nokia 6230 (which doesn't support the FileConnection package)?

This is my code for the write method:

Code:
    private void createFile() {
       try {
          FileConnection filecon = (FileConnection)
          Connector.open("file:///E:/Folder/mynewfile.txt");
          if(!filecon.exists()) {
             filecon.create();
          }
          filecon.close();
       } catch(IOException ioe) {
       }
    }
    Thanks in advance!

Regular Contributor

Re: Save data

try using RMS record management system for save data on the phones that don't support JSR 75

Quote Originally Posted by matrix241 View Post
    try using RMS record management system for save data on the phones that don't support JSR 75
    Ok, but how do i get the data from the RMS database to my PC? Because there is a lot of data involved when logging the keypresses with there timing... I can't just type it over from the screen of the cellphone.

Super Contributor

Two options:

1) install the app on a memory card. run your app. Read the memorycard on a PC through a memory crad reader and try to make sense of the RMS file (and find it)

2) create a function in your app to send the data from RMS to your PC for example over bluetooth or through HTTP.

Hartti