Discussion Board

6131NFC and Supermarket use

Hi,

I'm very new to the world of NFC and software development so be gentle....

I'm doing a final year computing project and have decided to develop an NFC application for use on a mobile phone. I'm still at the requirements stage but it will be in a supermarket and the user could use their phone for collecting mCoupons (reading tags and storing them on phone and then cashing them in at the checkout), Finding out more about the product (i.e. nutritional values, etc) or simply just do a price check.

I've downloaded eclipse and the 6131NFC SDK. I've also asked the Uni to buy a development 6131NFC from http://toptunniste.fi/topshop/product_catalog.php?c=3. Although site is saying it may be out of stock!!!

My next question is what else do I need?

I've found a sample kit , would this suit my needs? I would also assume that I need to get some sort of writer so that I can add information to the tags that the phone can then read?

Many thanks from a newbie

Lee

Re: 6131NFC and Supermarket use

Hi

You can have a look at the small step by step guide to get started with it. It might help you!

http://media.csee.ltu.se/courses/D70...uting/j2me.php

Great, thanks for the link.

I think I will start from scratch tonight and get Netbeans, I have used this in previous years so will probabaly be a safer route anyway! I've got a bit of knowledge on java but not touched J2ME yet, looking forward to the challenge.....

Hi

I bought a "Trikker Sample Kit" from TopTunniste, including a Nokia 6131 NFC phone. The Nokia 6131 NFC is compatible with all NXP Mifare 1K/4K/Ultralight/DESFire tags. The sample kit includes samples of all of these tags.

Be aware of one thing. The tags provided in the sample kit, are empty when you receive them. This means that, if you try to scan them with the integrated software in Nokia 6131 NFC, you will receive a "Unkown service" error... You will get rid of this error, if you write som data to the tag first. This can also be done with the integrated software (menu->NFC->Transmit to tag).

Quote Originally Posted by Dervis View Post
    Hi

I bought a "Trikker Sample Kit" from TopTunniste, including a Nokia 6131 NFC phone. The Nokia 6131 NFC is compatible with all NXP Mifare 1K/4K/Ultralight/DESFire tags. The sample kit includes samples of all of these tags.

Be aware of one thing. The tags provided in the sample kit, are empty when you receive them. This means that, if you try to scan them with the integrated software in Nokia 6131 NFC, you will receive a "Unkown service" error... You will get rid of this error, if you write som data to the tag first. This can also be done with the integrated software (menu->NFC->Transmit to tag).
    Great, does this mean I just need to buy the sample kit and the phone can write data to the tags (sounds like it from reading this). I'm only looking for simple applications/data at the early stage, I'd just like to be able to read some data from a tag, I have some other plans later on but it's important to get the equipment I need and to get the phone talking to the tags.

Many Thanks

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by funkyplates View Post
    does this mean I just need to buy the sample kit and the phone can write data to the tags
    Yes, the phone has a RFID reader and writer integrated. There is also standard software on the phone that lets you write and read from tags. However, the Nokia software on the phone, only lets you write NFC Forum formatted data (like url's, sms message, vcards). My own testing has shown that, reading and writing using the Nokia 6131 NFC Software Development Kit is really easy (there is an example of how to read tag-id's here).

Regular Contributor

Unhappy Re: 6131NFC and Supermarket use

I have bought this kit from TopTunniste but when I touch the tags with my phone nothing happens,even if Tag detection in phone is "on".
    Also when I try to write something on a tag with the "transmit to tag" option in NFC menu, the phone continues to show "touch tag to transmit" with a continuous gauge even whe I touch a tag.

Someone can tell me which could be the problem?

Thanks

This reply is for "super_beda":

First of all, make sure that the phone is a NFC version of the Nokia 6131. From what I read, I understand that it is..

The tag that is provided in the sample kit, has very short reading ranges, for that reason make sure that you touch the tags with the phone. The RFID reader is located on the topmost position of the cover (where the little display is), if you understand what I mean.

On my phone, when I use the "transmit to tag", there is also this continuous gauge you mention. I think the reason for that, is probably for writing the same data to several tags.

I dont now for what other, there should be an error reading the tags. Are you sure that the tags are NXP Mifare and standarized as ISO14443?

Regular Contributor

Unhappy Re: 6131NFC and Supermarket use

Hi Dervis,
    The Nokia i'm using is 6131NFC developer version( firmware 5.11), to transmit to tag i touch them with the topmost part of the cover(near the little display tou mentioned), and the tags are NXP Mifare Standard 1k..
    If I touch a Omnikey cardMan reader both with the phone and the tags, it recognizes both.
    Any advice?
    Thanks

I have no experience with the OmniKey reader, but maybe you should try to compile one the examples from Nokia and try to see if it will read. Look at post number 6, I posted a link to one of the examples. Remember that you have to compile the project into a jar file (with a valid manifest file) and transfer it to the phone.

I use the none-developer version of the Nokia 6131 NFC phone, but maybe you should email the store where you bought the phone and tell them about the problem?

I have gone to my supervisor and said about buying the sample tags kit. He reckons I also need to get the reader/writer so I can program the tags. Need confirmation by Monday really as I have a meeting with him to confirm exactly what we order.

What does the reader/writer do that the 6131 can't do? I'm assuming quite alot cos they aren't cheap (480 euros). Again, looking at buying from TopTunniste.

Many Thanks

Regular Contributor

I don't want to scare you, funkyplates, but have you thought about where you store the information of the collected data?

If you use the Secure Element of the mobile phone you need to get the midlet signed. To sign the midlet you need at least 299 dollars.

However, If you use a normal file (that means, outside the Secure Element) there is no need to sign the midlet.

bye,
    Roberto