Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Self-signed certificates on N95 firmware version 11 and after

I need to install my own digital certificate on the N95 in order to self-sign it so I can cut down on the annoying "Do you really really really want to let the evil software access your file system" messages. I'm just doing this for development purposes. However, I get the error "Unable to open file, file type not supported" when I select the .cer file in File Manager. A thorough search on the internet reveals that Nokia introduced this with firmware version 11 which I foolishly went and updated to (WLAN functionality with the original firmware was a joke).
    Has anybody found a way around this? Is it still the case in the new firmware version 20. I tried the previous one (13.something I think) and it still didn't work. How do I install my own certificate if it can't recognise the file type?

Who told you that? I am not aware of a change and all I know: You are able to add new certificates if you OBEX-Push them (do not OBEX-Browse and place into file system) or download them via the internal browser. However, such a certificate should not work for code signing…
    Last edited by traud; 2007-12-13 at 10:21.

Regular Contributor

Re: Self-signed certificates on N95 firmware version 11 and after

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    Who told you that? I am not aware of a change and all I know: You are able to add new certificates if you OBEX-Push them (do not OBEX-Browse and place into file system) or download them via the internal browser. However, such a certificate should not work for code signing…
    OBEX-Push...how would I do that exactly? Normally I do just copy to the file system as you say. Why would it not work for code signing? It worked on my old Nokia 6600...

You have to use the Send File… option within your operating system (OBEX-Push profile). Browsing and storing the certificate into the file system (OBEX-FTP profile) does not work as S60 seems not to have a registered handler for that file-name ending, however, there is a handler in OBEX-Push. Just do it as you have done on your Nokia 6600.

About code-signing, well, that was a bug of your Nokia 6600 which go fixed. For more information, please see the linked thread above.

Regular Contributor

Re: Self-signed certificates on N95 firmware version 11 and after

Pity it was a bug, it was a VERY USEFUL bug that Nokia should consider introducing in all its devices. There is nothing more annoying when there are those messages and you have to organise a certificate.

Comment to the JSR…