Discussion Board

Access message Inbox and Sent Item folders.

Hi,
    I want my J2ME app to be able to access the message Inbox and Sent Item folders on my Nokia 6300 phone. Can you please suggest where do I start looking ?

Regards,
    Nags.

Super Contributor

Re: Access message Inbox and Sent Item folders.

Hi CogitoErgoSum! Welcome to Nokia Developer Discussion Boards!!

From a Java app you cannot access normal SMS's which was send to your mobile Inbox (incomming SMS). You can access SMS which was send to a particular port and an application registers itself to listen for SMS messages sent to a specific port. Its not possible to access Sent Items folder also.

Also I suggest you to please search through the Discussion Boards before making a post so that you may find some quick answers.

Regards
    Gopal

Hello Gopal,
    Thanks for your reply.

Firstly, I did spend good deal of time in wiki to see if I can find answer to my question. Maybe, I didn't use the right search keywords.

Secondly, would you say that, this (a J2ME app to access Message Inbox, etc.) is same as an applet not being able to access the local file system ?

Regards,
    Nags.
    -------------------
    Debugging tip:
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
    --- Sherlock Holmes.

Quote Originally Posted by CogitoErgoSum View Post
    Hello Gopal,
    Thanks for your reply.

Firstly, I did spend good deal of time in wiki to see if I can find answer to my question. Maybe, I didn't use the right search keywords.

Secondly, would you say that, this (a J2ME app to access Message Inbox, etc.) is same as an applet not being able to access the local file system ?

Regards,
    Nags.
    No that's not right you can access local file system using PIM API (JSR 075). And yes also you can access your contacts, to do list, and Calendar events in your phone from PIM API.

Hi amila325,
    I was referring to a Java applet running in a browser (think non-J2ME).

Anyway, so with PIM API, the message Inbox and Sent Item folders can be accessed. Is this what you are saying ?

I will be reading this page tonight : Java Documentation: PIM & Files/Data

Thanks,
    Nags.
    Last edited by CogitoErgoSum; 2008-01-07 at 10:52. Reason: Corrected amila32 to amila325
    -------------------
    Debugging tip:
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
    --- Sherlock Holmes.

Super Contributor

CogitoErgoSum,

There is no inbox or sent item folder access from Java ME (including JSR-75)

Hartti

Quote Originally Posted by CogitoErgoSum View Post
    Hi amila325,
    I was referring to a Java applet running in a browser (think non-J2ME).

Anyway, so with PIM API, the message Inbox and Sent Item folders can be accessed. Is this what you are saying ?

I will be reading this page tonight : Java Documentation: PIM & Files/Data

Thanks,
    Nags.
    No Nags even from PIM API you cant access SMS inbox or sent folders. But you can write files in to your local file system. But as i experienced even from PIM you cant write in to the C drive in a phone. and i dnt know why.