Discussion Board

Thread: USB and S60 ?

Hybrid View

USB and S60 ?

Only silence around USB connectivity :-)

I have a N95 8GB (whith USB connector), a Linux desktop with USB, a USB cable and then I want to communicate a mobile app with a PC app over USB cable.

What port (COM0, ... USB0, ...) in the N95 match the USB interface (seems obvious, but ...) ?

How can I to "bypass" the modem in the PC endpoint ?

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: USB and S60 ?

In S60 platform there are two ACM interfaces in PC Suite personality (note that some products may decide to configure this differently). The first one is reserved for dial up networking. The second one is used by Javacomm and some test and debugging tools. When none of those is using it, it can be used by any application.

In the phone ACM is used over RComm API (ACM::1). In the PC it is seen as a com port. PC Suite has to be installed to PC in order for the port to be visible.

We are very interested in applications that utilizes USB. Please send me me a note if you think we should connect.
    [B]Forum Nokia Americas[/B]
    Forum Nokia provides a wealth of resources to mobile developers. To be informed about the latest on mobile tools, devices and technologies, register [B][URL="http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/registration/registration.html"]here[/URL][/B]

Nokia Developer Moderator

Maybe
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso...nterfaces.html
    will help you.

Cheers,
    Jack

Exclamation Re: USB and S60 ?

Hi All,

I am trying to use the USB Serial Comm code:

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...dition_devices

I have a server application running on COM3 port at PC, But the above code is not connecting to the server at PC,

Please give some reference help on this topic OR some example application if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaya Shekar View Post
    I have a server application running on COM3 port at PC, But the above code is not connecting to the server at PC,
    Hi Jaya,

Some debugging instructions:

Check if the USB connection is ok from the Windows' device manager (right click "My computer" -> properties -> hardware -Device Manager). You should see "Nokia xxx USB Modem" under "Modems" and "Nokia xxx USB (COMx)" under "Ports (COM & LPT)". If you see those, make sure your server application uses the COM port listed as "Nokia xxx USB" port. If you do not see those things, make sure you have Nokia drivers (bundled with PC Suite) installed in your PC.

I assume you have one of the latest phones (S60 3rd edition) that include the second ACM. The older ones do not.

If you see "Nokia xxx USB" and your server uses the corresponding com port, you may need to investigate your code on the phone side. Especially interesting things are return values (iStatus) from the Read and Write commands. If they are KErrNone, the phone side code is most likely ok.

t.Tero

Exclamation Re: USB and S60 ?

Hi Soukko..,

Thanx for UR replay..,

The problem is as u mentioned I am using the 2nd edition mobile.

Now I am trying to use RS232 ('ECUART' & 'COMM::1' ) over USB, I can able to open connection but I could not able to read OR write , I am facing "time out errors"

Can please help me for the above..##

Thanx in Advance.