Discussion Board

Question Full Screen video using CVideoPlayerUtility

Hi,
    I need to display a video clip on the entire screen.
    The most straight-forward method I could think of is editting a clip with the screen's resolution (240x320).

The problem is that on both the emulator and the device I receive KErrNotSupported (-5) on MVideoPlayerUtilityObserver::MvpuoPrepareComplete(TInt aError).
    A video with the exact same encoding but different resolution (352,288) works fine.
    I tried calling CVideoPlayerUtility::SetScaleFactorL() to make it as close as possible to full screen, but it doesn't seem to have any effect...

Is there any way to display video on full screen or at least enumerate all supported frame sizes?

Re: Full Screen video using CVideoPlayerUtility

Where are you scaling? IIRC you should call it when MvpuoPrepareComplete() is called, so I'd suggest you do some tries. Unfortunately, I recall seeing some issues in some phones, so I doubt you'll get a 100% effective solution.

I tried scaling in MvpuoPrepareComplete() but it had no effect..
    The closest thing I got to full screen on a 240x320 display is when the video frame size was 224x288 (which is fairly reasonable).

I'm a bit worried about having to port it to a different resolution though
    Too bad there isn't a function similar CCamera::EnumerateVideoFrameSizes() for video playback..

Have you tried 320x240 with your application in landscape mode? (I haven't it's just a thought).

Scaling video in real time is very hard (it uses a lot of processing rather than being particularly difficult to code). I think there may be some restrictions on what scale factors are possible.

The video decoder is capable of scaling 352x288 video to full screen in landscape mode for the 416x352 screen resolution phones though (e.g. N80, E60).

Sorcery

my application doesn't support landscape display at the moment.
    I'll keep it in mind in case we'll want to support it though.

Thanks for the tip

But if the video is full screen then surely it doesn't matter whether you are using portrait or landscape. Just take a portrait video clip and rotate it by 90 degrees (appropriate tool needed there) then play it in full screen landscape, switching back to portrait when you are no longer playing the video?

Video usually comes in a wide format and I think the limitation you are hitting is a maximum height of 288 in the decoder. I suspect it will work the way I've suggested (at least on some phone models) as I'm fairly sure the Real Player can play 320x240 and I remember we did some similar rotating on some iPod Video content. I just haven't ever tried it with CVideoPlayerUtility, only playing the content in full screen mode in the Real Player. However, the same video decoder is used in both cases.

Hope that helps,
    Sorcery