Discussion Board

Symbian OS C++ for Mobile Phones.pdf

Hi.

I have instaled S60_SDK_3rd_FP1 and Visual Studio 2005. I download the book of title. In the first example it says what i need download the examples by the web of Symbian. But the link is broken or lost. I followed the explications of book for built the example 'Hello World' in command line. I created the files BLD.inf and .mmp like are in the book. And then i writen the followed order:

bldmake bldfiles

and it create an file .bat. Correct.
    By after i write:

C:\Symbian\dev\source1>abld build winscw udeb

make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\dev\source1\EXPORT.
    make" EXPORT VERBOSE=-s
    Nothing to do
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\dev\source1\WINSCW.
    make" MAKEFILE VERBOSE=-s
    perl -S makmake.pl -D \Symbian\dev\source1\SOURCE1 WINSCW

MMPFILE "\Symbian\dev\source1\SOURCE1.MMP"
    ERROR: Unable to identify a valid CodeWarrior for Symbian OS installation
    WARNING: \Symbian\dev\source1\SOURCE1.MMP(11) : Unrecognised Keyword "LYBRARY"
    make:
    *** [MAKEFILESOURCE1] Error 255
    make" LIBRARY VERBOSE=-s
    make -s -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\dev\source1\SOURCE
    1\WINSCW\SOURCE1.WINSCW" LIBRARY
    make[1]: \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\dev\source1\SOURCE1\WINSC
    W\SOURCE1.WINSCW: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbi
    an\dev\source1\SOURCE1\WINSCW\SOURCE1.WINSCW'. Stop.
    make: *** [LIBRARYSOURCE1] Error 2
    make" RESOURCE CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    1\WINSCW\SOURCE1.WINSCW" RESOURCEUDEB
    make[1]: \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\dev\source1\SOURCE1\WINSC
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbi
    make: *** [RESOURCESOURCE1] Error 2
    make" TARGET CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    1\WINSCW\SOURCE1.WINSCW" UDEB
    make: *** [TARGETSOURCE1] Error 2
    make" FINAL CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s

Please, somebody can help me. I don't know whta are doing wrong.
    And Thanks for others explications and this foro. Is very good. The best what i find of this themes.
    Regardss.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Symbian OS C++ for Mobile Phones.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by josemixx View Post
    I have instaled S60_SDK_3rd_FP1 and Visual Studio 2005
    Make sure that you have also downloaded and installed ActivePerl 5.6.1 from www.activeperl.com (note that you need 5.6.1 - it is accessible via the old versions link on the download page), and Carbide.vs 3.0 from Forum Nokia.
    ERROR: Unable to identify a valid CodeWarrior for Symbian OS installation
    This message is not a problem if you have a complete Carbide.vs installation (VS 2005, Carbide.vs, ActivePerl)
    WARNING: \Symbian\dev\source1\SOURCE1.MMP(11) : Unrecognised Keyword "LYBRARY"
    The given keyword should be LIBRARY

Hi wizard_hu_.

Yes, i have installed perl 5.6.1.638 the version that requieres carbide.vs 3.0, and carbide too. And i build the examples of Symbian or Visual Studio, i not sure. And its running good. But when i want buil in command line with the files (bld.inf, .mmp and .cpp) in the same directori appears the errors.

What is the CodeWarrior, another IDE?? Can to be problem of paths??

I'm lost. Help please.

Thanks for all.

Regular Contributor

Hello

Please add the path
    "\Program Files\Nokia\CodeWarrior for Symbian v3.1\Symbian_Tools\Command_Line_Tools"

in the environment varibales

Please do the same for various IDEs that you use

Super Contributor

There has been a very fundamental change in the way Symbian OS/S60 apps are developed over the last couple of years. The book you are referring to has been written prior to the change. In those days, the main way to compile/link applications was to use the command line tools supplied with the SDK.

Over the last years, the focus of Symbian OS development has been on enabling IDE-based development, where the IDE build features are used and - ideally - you should not have to resort to command line tools at all.

Both Carbide.c++ (Eclipse-based) and Carbide.vs for VS 2005 adhere to this IDE-based "ideology". In user studies we also find that most users do not need to resort to command line tools at all.

To get started on the right track with the day-to-day mecahanics of S60 development using S60 and Carbide.vs, check out the Carbide.vs Getting started guide. Practically all functions you would use via the commanline tools ara available to you inside VS without the need to use the command line. If for some reason you need to use command line as a last resort, Carbide.vs even includes a command to start the command prompt in the correct directory and ensuring that all environment variable as correctly set.

So in reading "old fashioned books" that provide instructions on how to use command line tools, disregard those and use the equivalent features of Carbide.vs/VS as found in the Getting started guide and the online Help!

Super Contributor

But do note that while using a graphical UI for development, at least many (most?) professionally created commercial products usually use and depend on fully automated, command line build systems that can run without any manual intervention required.

Graphical IDEs will never be a replacement for that type of usage, and thus the "old fashioned" ways will be in use for a long, long time.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I agree with petrib, the command line tools are not only useful but also more efficient for some of the tasks a developer will have to accomplish.

If one is in the business of learning Symbian then learning the command line tools is a must, that alone will give better understanding on how the IDE handles a build and where from those weird errors are coming. As for the IDE, it should rather install the command line tools as a default option, there's really nothing to gain by adding one more stop to a beginner's learning path.

P.S. I was not aware that the book is available in PDF format. Can somebody provide a link to an authorised download location?
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2008-05-18 at 13:17.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite