Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

S60V3 - showing GUI from a non GUI exe

my program is an exe with no GUI (there is no CAknApplication class, no icon in the phone menus). The program is a calling card application that runs in the background and monitors outgoing calls.
    When the program detects a call that should be routed through a calling card service, it hangs up the call and dials the calling card.
    At this point, I would like to show a nice calling screen. Currently I am just showing a basic progress bar using a CAknGlobalProgressDialog. I would like to show a real Series 60 View. How can I do it ?

Re: S60V3 - showing GUI from a non GUI exe

Make it a gui application and keep it in background except when showing the info..

Regular Contributor

Yes, but if I do that I will have a phone menu icon which I dont want and the application will also be in the active tasks list (long press on menu button) which is undesirable. The whole point of my solution is an invisible background service that starts on boot.

To draw something, you'll need to have a window group among other things, and doing that will make your exe 'visible' in the active task list. Besides, there's a lot more than that to make it work reliably. If you feel like trying, you can start giving a look at some code I wrote a while ago (pre v3) to get some ideas (see my homepage) but again, I'd rather rely on the framework (especially if you end up relying on the cone environment).. Also, you may want to check the signing criteria to see if there's any issue for signing such application.

Regular Contributor

Thanks and Regards,
    Ravi