Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

how to get location based information in device which are not gps enabled.

hi,
    Can anyone please explain me in details whether there is way in finding the location based information form my J2me application for devices which doesnt support GPS.

I tried in N95 device i am able to successfully get the lattitude and longitude coordinates of my device using GPS.

but when i tried the same example in E65 which is not gps enable device i am not able to get these coordinates.
    now is there any way that i can find location based information for this E65 device.

I heard that we can find it using Internet based or Handset based data also but how is it possible please explain me in detail.

Waiting for reply,

Regards,
    basu.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: how to get location based information in device which are not gps enabled.

In order to do so, the network operator should support JSR-179 compatible location based services, and then provide the data to the phone when the phone asks for it.

Alternatively, you would need an external Bluetooth GPS receiver.

With neither network based support or GPS, all you can get is the cell ID (and maybe not even that from a J2ME application). To convert the cell ID to latitude/longitude, you would have to get a table of all cells and their coordinates from somewhere (usually the network operators do not publish such information).

Regular Contributor

hi,
    Can't we find the location based information without getting tie up with operator.
    I dont want to tie up with any operator.
    can any one please explain me how to find the location based information in mobiles which are not GPS enabled and also with out any operator support.

Regards,
    basu.

Nokia Developer Champion

Without the operator support, and without an actual GPS receiver, all you can get is the cell ID (and maybe not even that with J2ME), which will not give you any coordinates.

If you get, from the operator, the coordinates of the cell tower (basestation) for that cell ID (for that operator), then the cell ID will give you an approximate location. However, it does not give you a direction or distance(from the cell tower).

So, use a real GPS, or make a deal with the operator, or forget about applications that needs to know the location.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    ....all you can get is the cell ID (and maybe not even that with J2ME), which will not give you any coordinates.
    I've never seen/tested a phone that gives you cell id using j2me, but there might be some devices that support this in addition to standard j2me. Maybe as a system property.

Hi I m new to this forum....

I tell real question in a simple manner :

I need a sample application and soure code for the following:

--> To read the location info provided by the service provider in S40 2nd edition phones.(i.e tower or base station name)

Please help me...

Hi I m new to this forum....

I tell real question in a simple manner :

I need a sample application and soure code for the following:

--> To read the location info provided by the service provider in S40 2nd edition phones.(i.e tower or base station name)

Please help me...

Hi Basu,
    Please let me now the link/src to find the location with GPS enabled phone.
    Thanks

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by mrchaloo View Post
    Please let me now the link/src to find the location with GPS enabled phone.
    Look up the location examples in the wiki.