Discussion Board

SIP calls over Packet data

Hi
    Is it possible to connect to a SIP server via packet data and not just WLAN.

I have a N95 V20.0.015
    and set up a SIP server running 3CX v5, I can connect to the server via WLAN with no problems and make calls out, this is a good start. but when i want to connect via packet data (i'm on a data only plan so no calling option) i cannot initiate the SIP registration.
    the settings in phone as as following:

Profile name: 3cx
    Service profile: IETF
    Default access point: VF NZ Internet (packet data) (when selected to WLAN option it works fine)
    Public user name: sip:10@125.xxx.xxx.xxx (my static IP)
    Use compression: No
    Use security: No

Proxy server:

Proxy server address: sip:125.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Realm: 3CXPhoneSystem
    User name: 10
    Password: ***
    Allow loose routing: Yes
    Transport type: UDP
    Port: 5060

Registrar server:

Registrar serv. addr. : sip:125.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Realm: 3CXPhoneSystem
    User name: 100
    Password: ***
    Transport type: UDP
    Port: 5060

Now, as i said before this works fine when i'm in WLAN reception. But i want to use this over my packet data ie, when i'm not at home or near WLAN. But when i want to connect:
    a) if i dial the number and make an "Internet call" it will ask if i want to register with my Internet telephone service (SIP) i say yes, but it will give me an error that it cannot connect because of no WLAN.
    b) If i try to connect to the SIP server before making a call via "Internet tel." in the connectivity folder, it only gives me WLAN options and no packet data options, regardless of "Default access point: VF NZ Internet" option selected in the SIP configuration.

I really hope you can understand what i'm trying to say, basiclly i can use WLAN but not Packet Data.

I used Gizmo for a wile, and using this same method but including the gizmo client (but not using the client directly to make a call) it can connect via packet data, so i'm really not sure whats going on.

Can someone please enlighten me? do i have to use a SIP client to enable SIP calls via Packet data?

Much appreciated.

PS: i forgot to mention, when i do try to register to the SIP server via Packet data, the packet data icon on the phone doesn't even appear as if its not even crating a connection, but if WLAN, the WLAN icon will appear.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: SIP calls over Packet data

Hi,

There shouldn't be problems in registering to SIP server over packet data. What happens if you just try to register your SIP profile changing "Registering: Always on"? Does it try to open packet data connection?

On default you can't establish VoIP calls over packet data with built-in VoIP client. This default behavior can be changed with VoIP settings tool by enabling "Allow Voip over WCDMA".

You can download the tool from here:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._Settings.html

Cool Re: SIP calls over Packet data

I am having the same problem. Although my situation is a bit different. I have installed the sip voip settings.sis and changed it to use the wcdma network but still showing me the message @no wlan coverage@ etc.

Please help

Thanks
    Salz

Same problem here - it works with "always on", but packet data is not opened for "when needed".

I can't use always on for packet data because WLAN is always on as well. The E70 can't handle two internet connection simultaneously (it freezes on incoming calls).

So I would also like to get VoIP over packet data "when needed".

I am also facing the same problem.I have tried the following:

1 Upgraded the phone software to 3.0633.69.00
    2 Installed SIP VoIP settings and changed " allow VoIP over WCDMA" to "on"

The phone is having no problem with VoIP over Wlan but does not detect the WCDMA connection and displays "no connecction networks"

When i select the SIP settings to " always on" it immediately connects to the WCDMA connetion but still does not show the network in the Internet tel.

This has become quiet frustrating now.

If anyone can kinldy help in this regard I will be thankful.

Hi,

I'm not voip expert but an ordinary user who had similar problem. To make VOIP calls thru nokia builtin software you need a very fast speed internet connection thats why you can make voip calls while you are using wlan but when you connect thru data packet you cant. Please make sure with your network operator whether they provide 3G (3.5G) data connection. EDGE connection is not suitable for voip calls thru nokia builtin software. Or otherwise you can download MOIP software like Nimbuzz, Talkonaut, Octrotalk and register your SIP account with one of these software and can use.

I have used all above mentioned software for internet calls in my Nokia E51 and they all work fine. Nimbuzz is best.

I found the solution in the Wiki on http://pbxes.com. The idea is installing a tool called "Psiloc Connect".

Hi smshery2 did you got solution i m facing same problem can any one help me out ?

SIP calls over Nimbuzz / talkonaut

I was using sip calls by octrotalk by actionvoip credit. my octrotalk trial period has been expired. I tried by nimbuzz, but nimbuzz calls cannot hear one side and very noisy. could u tell me how u r saying nimbuzz is the best for sip calls? my nimbuzz version is 5.

Please advise.

Quote Originally Posted by habeebabbasi View Post
    Hi,

I'm not voip expert but an ordinary user who had similar problem. To make VOIP calls thru nokia builtin software you need a very fast speed internet connection thats why you can make voip calls while you are using wlan but when you connect thru data packet you cant. Please make sure with your network operator whether they provide 3G (3.5G) data connection. EDGE connection is not suitable for voip calls thru nokia builtin software. Or otherwise you can download MOIP software like Nimbuzz, Talkonaut, Octrotalk and register your SIP account with one of these software and can use.

I have used all above mentioned software for internet calls in my Nokia E51 and they all work fine. Nimbuzz is best.