Discussion Board

What is my phone's path? How does my PC see it?

Hi

I have a 6234 and what i want know is the address that i can use to access it.

So far i found this:
    ::\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{416651E4-9C3C-11D9-8BDE-F66BAD1E3F3A}\_(IMEI)_\C:\
    and c: is PhoneMemory and e: is MemoryCard.

Is this the only way to access my phone / refer to it ?

I need this for a schduler to copy or synchronise files from Memory card to harddisk, (i.e. every 1 hour)... I tried an application (Second Copy) that copies files from one address to another, but i cannot set the phone path as the source address/folder.(it does'n recognise the one above)

Or i could try and write a script or something that will do that, but either way i dont know how the phone's address might look like.

thanks in advance

Re: What is my phone's path? How does my PC see it?

Or is there any other way to do synchronising / hidden copying files from MemoryCard ?
    I also tried EasySync and similar, but my 6234 isn't a smartphone, it hasn't Windows Mobile or so...

thanks again

Regular Contributor

Hi ,
    You will copy from one folder to another folder with path C:\<directoryname>\FileName.txt to anywhere you want ...

HTML Code:
    What is my phone's path? How does my PC see it? 
    but not getting your Question properly

Please explain it properly ! You need to copy the files from one folder to another folder after 1Hr.?????

Nokia Developer Moderator

Appears that the phone is connected to the PC, and he wants to copy files from the device to the PC using propably PC-suite connection.

Propably you should move this thread to : Developer Discussion Boards -->Multimedia Technology and Content-->Connectivity-->PC Suite API and PC Connectivity SDK , section on this discussion board.

I'll try in that section too, 10x for the tip

To be more specific, what i'm trying to do is synchronising Images and VideoClips folders from my MemoryCard with folders on my harddisk.

Of course i know the destination path, like c:\<destination folder>\...
    What i don't know is source path, my MemoryCard's address while it's connected to my PC. What should i write there?
    this one
    ::\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{416651E4-9C3C-11D9-8BDE-F66BAD1E3F3A}\_(MY_IMEI)_\C:\
    doesn't work for applications i tried (like SecondCopy)...
    I might try to write a vb script, although that will be harder, since i don't know too much vbs, but still i don't know that source address...

Basically, all I want to do is automatically copying in background the files from MemoryCard every time i connect my phone to the usb dku-2 cable i have, without any progress bar showing or so...
    every 1 hour wasn't a good example (maybe only for checking for new files)

I also looked in DeviceManager for the phone's address, and are there any use the Device Instance Id, Hardware Ids, Compatible Ids and others in the Properties->Details tab?

Super Contributor

You can use the PC Suite APIs (regular Windows COM APIs/interfaces) in the PC Suite Connectivity SDK v1.1 for doing file transfer between phone and PC.

You could also get a Nokia phone with USB mass storage class support, and then the phone (at least its memory card or secondary mass storage) will appear as a regular removable drive (like an USB memory "stick").

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    You could also get a Nokia phone with USB mass storage class support, and then the phone (at least its memory card or secondary mass storage) will appear as a regular removable drive (like an USB memory "stick").
    I have 6234. Does it support USB mass storage class ?
    For what i want to do, it should be great for me if it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    You can use the PC Suite APIs (regular Windows COM APIs/interfaces) in the PC Suite Connectivity SDK v1.1 for doing file transfer between phone and PC.
    I'm a little confused here...
    I didn't find SDK v1.1, only v3.0. Where can i find v1.1? I've also downloaded PC_Connectivity_API_3.2. Where can i find regular Windows COM interfaces ? As for APIs, i found someone else had the exact question i have http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...oto=nextoldest
    (hope i'm allowed to do this - i need to know the same thing about NokiaCLFileTransfer, but he didn't get any answer there)

Thanks again for your help!

Super Contributor

There are two PC SDKs: The "Nokia PC Connectivity SDK", and the "Nokia PC Suite Connectivity API".

The latest "PC Connectivity SDK" is v3.0, and it is several years old and does not support any of the newer phones.

Then first PC Suite API version was v1.*. Version 1.0 was first available only for Forum Nokia PRO members. Then the v1.1 was made available for everyone.

After that, a PC Suite API v3.0 appeared, but only on Forum Nokia PRO (don't confuse it with the PC Connectivity SDK v3.0).

After that, a new version, PC Suite API v3.2 was also released. I don't know if it is available on the public Forum Nokia side, or the Launchpad version, or just Forum Nokia PRO. If you have it, where did you get it from?

from here

Whar about SDK? If 3.0 is the latest, and still doesn't support newer phones like 6234, then why search for 'PC Suite Connectivity SDK v1.1' ? By that you mean 'PC Connectivity API v1.1' ?

then i still have this exact same question.

EDIT: By moving this thread to 'PC Suite API and PC Connectivity SDK' section of this forum, is it okay if i repeat the question there, or simply wait for an administrator to move it ?
    Last edited by johnniewalker; 2008-01-04 at 16:30.

Super Contributor

Looks like the URL is still referring to v1.1, but v3.2 is now public (it didn't use to be). That's good.

The "Nokia PC Suite Connectivity API 3.2" *IS* the SDK to use (it contains the libraries, header files, documentation and sample code you need to write Windows apps that use available PC Suite interfaces).

And anything with the name "PC Connectivity SDK" (any version, as long as it does not have the word "Suite") is old, and you should ignore, unless you're developing for old phones.

And for the "exact same question", take look at the API documentation in the PC Suite API documentation. Look at the "File System Functions" and "FileBrowser Example Application".