Discussion Board

Mobile web server and web services

Dear sir,
    I am a student and I work as an intern .
    I have done the mobile web services for two months.
    following your open sources---Raccoon, I design my
    mws architecture based on the Linux OS and we develop many web services for example call and SMS and Synchronize in browser instead of mobile .we develop web application for example googlemap calender YUI and gmail we design the architecture like httP://www.netvibes.net. but there many questions we don't resolve
    first ,Raccoon provide the mod_python .but we compile the mod_python in the apache_httpd. when we write python script in server.the mod_python doesn't work.I try many times .last we use the python instead of mod_python.
    Second, I want to ask How make sure the security of the mobile when you access to the PC using wlan or usbnet. bescaue we meet this question.
    Third, If mobile access to the IP we can develop many web services using Internet provided. so the mobile may be push and get the data from the remote server.but may be the mobile and the Remote server can't access each other. for example "Flickr" IF I want to download or upload. How to deal with this problem?? do you notify the crossdomain questions??? I have test many methods but not very well???

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Mobile web server and web services

Hi,

Please don't post the same question in multiple threads.

Quote Originally Posted by landerluu View Post
    first ,Raccoon provide the mod_python .but we compile the mod_python in the apache_httpd. when we write python script in server.the mod_python doesn't work.I try many times .last we use the python instead of mod_python.
    What exactly do you mean when you say that mod_python does not work?

Have you installed the pre-built Raccoon and tried the Leave a note concept demo? Does it work?

Second, I want to ask How make sure the security of the mobile when you access to the PC using wlan or usbnet. bescaue we meet this question.
    It depends somewhat on what security actually is your concern.

Typically with WLANs there's a NAT involved, so in the general case only devices on the same WLAN can directly reach the phone. So, the phone is not open for attacks by just any device on the Internet.

That is, in practice only devices on the same WLAN are potential threats. In a typical home or workplace context where (hopefully) WLAN security is employed, only (at least to some extent) trusted devices can reach the phone in the first place.

However, devices on the same WLAN can do regular IP-based attacks. If that is seen as a risk, there are firewalls available for Symbian. Just google for symbian firewall and you'll find many. But this is irrespective of whether you have a web-server installed or not.

As for web security, all means used in the regular web are just as applicable in the mobile web. There is nothing, in principle, that prevents you from using https in the communication, in which case the traffic cannot be monitored. In practice there may be issues as I havn't tried using https and hence something might not work at the moment.

Third, If mobile access to the IP we can develop many web services using Internet provided. so the mobile may be push and get the data from the remote server.but may be the mobile and the Remote server can't access each other.
    What do you mean by can't access each other? If you are using WLAN but not the gateway, then your phone cannot be reached from the Internet unless you control the WLAN box and can setup port forwarding.

Johan