Discussion Board

Flash Lite in XHTML-MP

hi everyone,

I have a question regarding development in FlashLite and I hope the experts out there can help.

I am writing a web application for mobile phones in xhtml. However, i hope to beautify my page by adding some Flash animations at the same time, I was wondering if that's possible?

I have tried embedding it in but it seems like the user needs to click on the SWF before it downloads and becomes viewable. Can anybody tell me if this is the norm? Or am I able to get the swf to show upon loading the page.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Flash Lite in xHTML

Ciao

you need to embed the flash content into the xHTML web page.
    Also remember that only Nokia 3rd edtion support Flash Lite 1.1 into the WAP browser.
    So you need to create Flash Lite 1.1 content (or Flash 4) and then embed it into the page, at this point you should be able to view the animation. Also remember that memory/CPU is an issue so do not create huge flash animations.

Alessandro

hi,

thanks for the reply.

i am trying to test it out on the emulator i downloaded but to no avail.
    i am using the series60 3rd edition nokia emulator for MIDP. could it be due to the wrong use of the emulator or is it due to problems with my Flash file or HTML file ?

Code:
    <object data="logo.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100" height="20" >
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
    <param name="loop" value="on" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    </object>
    the above is an extract of my HTML file.

My flash file is called "logo" and it is published in FlashLite1.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao

I am not usre the eries60 3rd edition nokia emulator for MIDP has Flash Lite. I use the SDK for C++ from january/february (sicne the lastest one does not have FL support), check the SDK readme to make sure FL is included into the SDK

Alessandro

hello Alessandro,

thanks for your help once again.
    I downloaded the C++ emulator like you mentioned and now my SWF displays nicely on the emulator.
    However, when viewing the page on an actual device, the SWF still doesnt show. I have tried viewing on devices like Nokia N80 and E63(flash players built-in), and also Nokia 6680(Flash Player 2 installed) but to no avail.

Any idea?

I think as 6680 is not 3rd edition will not be able to handle flash in xhtml. The player is just there to play swf directly from file system i suppose.

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao

I posted a short article on creating Flash Lite 1.1 web page:
    http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/view_entry.html?id=279

It's an introduction to the topic.

Alessandro

Hi,
    I've tried to follow Allesandros tutorial but I don't succeed.
    When I open the html page with the embedded *.swf the *.swf is displayed correctly, but it does'nt get the focus, so I can't navigate within the flash movie. I've also tried various SDKs - without success. When I open the *.swf directly all works fine, but I need it within the browser. Can anybody help?
    Many thanks, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by biskero View Post
    Ciao

I posted a short article on creating Flash Lite 1.1 web page:
    http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/view_entry.html?id=279

It's an introduction to the topic.

Alessandro

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao,

to get focus on the FL content you need to click on it. At that point you can interact with the FL content, also you can open it in the FL viewer and use it.
    That's how the FL within the browser implementation is currently.

Alessandro

Alessandro,

thank you for prompt answering (also on the adobe forums). Could you please clarify what do you mean with 'click on it'? Maybe a stupid question, but when using the S40 SDK (where the content is dispayed inline) I cannot click on the swf (really don't know why). Behaviour is the same for FP1 and FP2.

On the S60 SDK the flash movie is not visible within the browser window. There is only a symbol and 'Download Object' text. When I click on it I can download the file and open in the flash player.

Many thanks for your help,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by biskero View Post
    Ciao,

to get focus on the FL content you need to click on it. At that point you can interact with the FL content, also you can open it in the FL viewer and use it.
    That's how the FL within the browser implementation is currently.

Alessandro

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao Micheal,

clicking on it mean that you go with the cursor on the item and press enter key.
    Same as there was a link on an image, when you are on it it gets focus and you know is clickable. For FL content it does it by default (no linkage).

For the S60 3rd Ed SDK (January 2006), make sure you are using the default browser since that platform had 2. The S60 browser does not support FL content.

Alessandro

Hi Alessandro,

many thanks for your reply. I've tried again with another S60 SDK (S60-SDK-0548-3.0-f.3.215f) - now it works for Flashlite 1.1. Flash content is displayed within the browser and I'm able to activate it and so I can use the buttons within the Flashmovie.

Unfortunately, I don't get it on S40 SDK working (I need the SDK for Flashlite 2.0). Same problem as described in my other posts: I'm not able to click on it and to activate it. I have also tested with different html-links. Using the phone keys I can jump between the links - no problem. But the flashmovie doesn't get the focus. What am I doing wrong? I don't see a cursor or something like that (appears on S60 and S40 SDKs), is that correct?

Do you also have any recommendation for testing hardware? I'm still searching for a phone with full Flashlite 2.0 browser based support.

Best regards from Germany,

Michael

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao Michael,

for the S40 you need the S40 3rd Ed FP2 which has Flash Lite 2.0 or the S40 5th Ed SDK with Flash Lite 2.1.

The browser on S40 is different from the S60, so you will not see the cursor, you just need to navigate with the joystick and you will get focus by default on links and Flash Lite content.

For flash Lite 2.0 enabled devices in the market you can get a S40 3rd FP2 like the Nokia 5300 or S60 3rd FP1 like the Nokia N95.

Alessandro