Discussion Board

Streaming Problems on S60 3gp/Flash/Browser

Hi all,
    I am developping a mobile/web platform to share videos and view videos. For the mobile side, I use 3gp streaming with darwin server (videos encoded with ffmeg and hinted with MP4Box).
    However I get problems when streaming the videos on mobiles. Within flash lite 2 on a nokia N73, the video will not play. The videos will play with some SEMC phones when typing in the link directly but will not play if the link is tapped from the browser (there is a mobile web page for people without flash lite).

I am streaming with Darwin on port 554 and I understand this might be the issue (I can't stream on port 80 cause I got a web server there).
    I also realised that there might be issues with some operators and internet settings for streaming.

A couple of questions :
    - Do you know of this type of problem and potential solutions?
    - did anybody get 3gp streaming working on a n73
    - Can you try to stream a video here : rtsp://212.214.41.51:554/3gp/85.3gp or rtsp://212.214.41.51:554/3gp/84.3gp
    - Can you try to access www.kaskado.com/video/mobi and play the videos which are there? (I managed to get this working on a nokia 6280)

Any feedback on www.kaskado.com is also welcome The site is under construction still and the goal of it is to be very mobile oriented (doesn't show much yet but will ...).
    You can download the mobile client also.

Best regards and thanks in advance.
    Kaskado

Super Contributor

Re: 3gp + flash + darwin streaming problems on S60 phones

i am also trying to run DSS but it works fine on localhost and when i try it from some other LAN computer it do not give any response.

554 is the default streaming port and mostly its block by the network operator so if you would like to operate on the port then you need that port.

i am not sure that darwing will work with the Real player because all nokia phones have Real player.

the link that you have given is not working and give error "Requested file not found the link you followed may be outdated or inaccurate.

Thank you,

Hi,
    I can play the videos on my M600 and on my computer from Quicktime. It is only with some nokia phones it fails (and especially through flash lite).

On the Nokia 6280 with Telenor in Sweden, I managed to access the page http://www.kaskado.com/video/mobi and to play the videos from there. There is no flash lite on that phone so I could not test.

Which phone do you test with ?
    Which link did not work for you ?

Regards,
    Jonathan

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao

I tried on the emulator and worked:
    rtsp://212.214.41.51:554/3gp/85.3gp

I tried on my N93 with FL2.1 and did not work, got the Error Preparing Video for playing.

Check your timeout and bit rate on your streaming server.
    I am assuming you already try to play the video on Real Player on your N73. If it did not work, I think are the settings on your streaming server that need to be configured.

the service looks cool. Do you have the FL app available for download?
    Alessandro

Hi and thanks a lot for the feedback (the first one from somebody I do not know ).

First things first, I m very interested in your Kero mobile product, would be nice to understand a bit more about it..

Regarding the errors, could you specify a bit more where I should tweak the settings ? Is it on the server (I use Darwin and I guess that s where I should change the timeout) or at the encoding of the videos (I use ffmpeg and MP4Box, should I change bitrate there?).

I've got the videos to work sometimes.. and sometimes not.. which almost tempted me to stop! But I'm really keen on getting this to work.

I am really excited about working with all these technologies. 2 months ago I could not do a website... since then I've learnt ruby, usage of linux, recompiled tons of opensource software and more. I am not the one doing the flash lite app, I work with another guy which is much better at graphical stuff than me

I'll do some testing tmrow night by tweaking the server...
    Again thanks for the help, any more advice is welcome.

/Kaskado

Nokia Developer Expert

Smile Re: 3gp + flash + darwin streaming problems on S60 phones

Try to use 50kbps. You are now using 160kbps when you are encoding the videos.

Quote Originally Posted by rvilanov
    Try to use 50kbps. You are now using 160kbps when you are encoding the videos.
    Thanks I will check that. However one of the videos ( rtsp://212.214.41.51:554/3gp/61.3gp ) is the Darwin Streaming Server sample video at 50kbps .. and that one does not work either

But will play around with the encoding.

Regards,
    /Kaskado

Nokia Developer Champion

Ciao

ok, try to test one thing at the time.

1 - test on your desktop, using real player and quicktime
    2 - test on the phone with real player. If this does not work, it will not work on FL since it uses the video player of the phone.
    So it's important that the video will work on the real player of the phone.

Also you can check the Darwin forums for infos about configuring it for mobile phones.

Alessandro

Quote Originally Posted by biskero
    Ciao

ok, try to test one thing at the time.

1 - test on your desktop, using real player and quicktime
    Did that and it works fine for all video. Right now I am testing mainly with rtsp://212.214.41.51:554/3gp/61.3gp this one is the sample 50kbps from DSS.
    2 - test on the phone with real player. If this does not work, it will not work on FL since it uses the video player of the phone.
    Does not work. I get a timeout at the server (I have increased the timeout in DSS though. I tried on my M600 SEMC phone though and there it just plays fine with no cut.
    So it's important that the video will work on the real player of the phone.

Also you can check the Darwin forums for infos about configuring it for mobile phones.

Alessandro
    Getting a bit desperate to be honest Do you know any 3gp streaming mobile video I could put on my server which works ? (simply to test if error is in my videos or on my server configuration).

Regards,
    /kaskado

Nokia Developer Expert

Post Re: 3gp + flash + darwin streaming problems on S60 phones

Hi,

The video 61.3gp worked fine in Series 60 3rd edition product.

What you need to pay attetion is on the FPS that you are using. This video has 25FPS that works fine in some mobile phones. Others uses maximum 15 FPS.

Can you post your ffmpeg and MP4Box commands that you are using?

Hi,
    thanks for testing.

These are the commands I use (do not mind the syntax it s ruby):

commandConvert = "#{RAILS_ROOT}/tools/ffmpeg -i #{path} -vcodec h263 -r 25 -b 200 -ab 64 -acodec amr_nb -ac 1 -ar 8000 -s 176x144 #{RAILS_ROOT}/public/videos/3gp/#{@video.id}.3gp"

commandHint = "MP4Box -hint -3gp #{RAILS_ROOT}/public/videos/3gp/#{@video.id}.3gp"

I just realised that some people adivsed to use -hint -latm instead of just -hint. I did that and it seemed to help (for video 612.3gp at same adress) but not much.

Some questions :
    - Which phone do u use ?
    - On which network ?
    - Do you have flash lite 2.1 and could try through my flash app if this one plays ? (flash app is at www.kaskado.com and video is the one with a thumbnail of people doing gmynastics)

Regards,
    Jonathan

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

OK. Try to code a video with 15FPS (-r 15 in the ffmpeg) and use your phone to test it (most Nokia products are 15fps). The new ones N95/N93/N75 are 30fps.

I am using America Movil network in Mexico. And using N75. The Flash application gives an error on "Error preparing video for playing".

Regards
    Roberto

Hi,
    yes I tried that now (video EDIT 85.3gp) but no success.
    When I use the flash client I get a noise when trying to play the video (like a white noise) but nothing more.
    The video to try is the one in the bottom right corner when opening the channel kaskado (the one with some gymnast jumping, orange background sort of).
    I am trying on Telenor in Sweden, this could be the reason.

Btw if u have msn u could maybe add me on jon_hello AT hotmail DOT com ?

I really appreciate your support !
    Last edited by kaskado; 2007-04-19 at 19:17.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi, I will add you.

I can not access directelly the video 613.3gp, once in the application I get the video but "flicking", maybe some issue with the FP 2.1.

Regards and good luck!
    Roberto

Quote Originally Posted by rvilanov
    Hi, I will add you.

I can not access directelly the video 613.3gp, once in the application I get the video but "flicking", maybe some issue with the FP 2.1.

Regards and good luck!
    I get the video but "flicking" : So you mean it actually starts to play the video ?
    Regarding 613, it s normal.. I had actually renamed it to 85.3gp (the video with the cats in the flash lite client.. the thumbnail is a grey sofa)

Regards,
    /Jonathan