Discussion Board

Lightbulb Blogging Experiences & Suggestions

FYI: using N73 with 3G connected by Internet

Web Site Interface
    1) Concatenated Blog Entries
    Created 1 x HTML blog entry via PC which presented OK.
    Next day - created 1 x blog entry via Phone.
    When viewing either entry - they were joined together.
    Interestingly enough, when adding/showing comments, all blog entries display correctly.

2) Missing Summary of Blog Entry
    The HTML blog entry I created via PC does NOT have a summary showing. Just the Read More link.
    The blog entry I created via mobile DOES have the summary.
    Then, when I created a new TEXT only blog entry via PC, the summary did show properly.
    (You might also be interested to know that my TEXT via PC entry displays correctly, ie. is NOT concatenated.)

3) Blog Title Hyperlink
    As appears to be customary with many blog pages, I suggest that the title for each blog entry should be a hyperlink that performs in exactly the same manner as Read More.

4) Efficiency of Remove Blog Entry
    Selecting Remove blog entry appears to issue HTTP request to mobile server before asking for Yes/No confirmation. Surely AJAX paradigm would encourage local handling of Yes/No offer with only a "No" response requiring communication with mobile server? (IMHO there are several places in the current MWS web site interface with a distinct lack of efficient AJAX style local processing.)

Mobile Phone Interface
    1) Edit Posted Blog on Mobile
    I couldn't find a way on my mobile phone to open for editing any of the blogs that I had posted.

2) Edit Blog on Mobile - Save to Drafts
    I couldn't find an option on my phone to save a blog entry to the drafts area. I would for example like to "slowly" build up a blog entry. When interrupted I would save it to my drafts folder so that I could work on it later. (A really nice thing about creating SMS on my phone is that when I hit the <exit> button the SMS is automatically saved to drafts.)

3) Edit Blog on Mobile - Missing Editor Functionality
    Basically I wonder why editing of a Blog entry (on my N73) does NOT operate in the same manner as editing an SMS?
    (a) When I press [UP] joystick from anywhere in the body of my blog entry, instead of going up one line, the cursor jumps to "Category". [DOWN] joystick does behave correctly.
    (b) [Edit] button doesn't offer the usual edit menu, (ie. functions like Predictive text, Number mode, Insert symbol). Not a big deal because most of this can be handled with other key strokes. I noticed it because I could not access the "Insert Word" functionality to add a word to my custom dictionary. (BTW: holding down [Edit] button to perform "copy" and "paste" does work.)

4) Edit Blog on Mobile - Missing Options
    In a similar vain to the above point, a few SMS style options that I feel are missing:
    (a) Insert Template
    (b) Print

I better stop there before I get arrested. Despite my ramblings - really good work by the development team. Great to use beta stuff that "never" falls over.

Oh - and another thing. Is this the right place for me to be putting this stuff?

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Blogging Experiences & Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Zargron View Post
    Oh - and another thing. Is this the right place for me to be putting this stuff?
    No,Forum Nokia is for Developer's support, not end user suggestions.

Try the end user products forum http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

But I won't remove this thread as it was interesteding in part to developers.

Ron

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Blogging Experiences & Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron View Post
    No,Forum Nokia is for Developer's support, not end user suggestions.

Try the end user products forum http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

But I won't remove this thread as it was interesteding in part to developers.

Ron
    Ron, this is not end user discussion really but feedback for us (developing MWS). So I am very happy to see this kind of feedback, but our blog (http://blogs.s60.com/mws) would be a good place also since our beta end users are not probably reading this forum.

Zargron, sorry about your problems with Blog. I don't have any solutions right now, we will take a look if we can reproduce the errors you experienced. Then they will be fixed to a later release. AJAX type usability enhancements would be very nice, but at the moment we have just made it the simplest way since the apps (like Blog) are still more like a proof of concept than real end products. The platform has everything in place, so you or interested parties could do a better blog app quite easily.

About your comments about blog editing in mobile, yes the editor is very limited for similar reasons - it is done the simplest way possible and not really optimized.

Thanks again for your feedback, it is valuable to us.

Jukka

Re: oh where for art thou MWS expert user feedback?

Thanks Ron & Jukka.

Looked at http://blogs.s60.com/mws thank you very much. Interesting that "resolutions" in your 11 Jan 2008 blog links to an article by Stephen Johnston that includes a paragraph that starts with:
    Now as my New Year resolution suggestion to the rest of Nokia, I'll propose one -- get better at listening, in particular to our expert users.

I can't judge how well Nokia listen, (pretty well I dare say for them to be the world's number one in mobile phones!). However, obviously I agree with the sentiment regards a dedicated area for "expert users" to deposit their feedback that doesn't interfere with "developer" discussions and "general user" (I can't get this to work!) type discussions.

So - I guess I'll keep an eye on your S60-MWS blog Jukka and contribute my comments from time to time.
    Zargron, sorry about your problems with Blog...
    Apology not required. Thanks - but my focus was firmly on feedback rather than complaining. I'm an experienced s/w developer who can quickly analyse and comment on software, and likes to use that skill to make my small contribution to great projects such as this.

Zargron

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: oh where for art thou MWS expert user feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by Zargron View Post
    Thanks Ron & Jukka.

Looked at http://blogs.s60.com/mws thank you very much. Interesting that "resolutions" in your 11 Jan 2008 blog links to an article by Stephen Johnston that includes a paragraph that starts with:
    Now as my New Year resolution suggestion to the rest of Nokia, I'll propose one -- get better at listening, in particular to our expert users.

I can't judge how well Nokia listen, (pretty well I dare say for them to be the world's number one in mobile phones!). However, obviously I agree with the sentiment regards a dedicated area for "expert users" to deposit their feedback that doesn't interfere with "developer" discussions and "general user" (I can't get this to work!) type discussions.

So - I guess I'll keep an eye on your S60-MWS blog Jukka and contribute my comments from time to time.

Apology not required. Thanks - but my focus was firmly on feedback rather than complaining. I'm an experienced s/w developer who can quickly analyse and comment on software, and likes to use that skill to make my small contribution to great projects such as this.

Zargron
    Just keep commenting, the place is not overly important but in our context our Blog would be the best place.