Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Application Icon Missing

Go easy on me - all somewhat new to this. I'm using Visual Studio 2005 and Carbide VS 3.0. I'm completely convinced that when built under VS2003 and Carbide VS 2 that the icon appeared on the phone. When I re-build the project under VS2005, the app builds and runs just fine on the target phone, but the icon is simply a white patch. Has anyone any clues why this might happen? is there a cost plus option to add icon support to Carbide VS3.0 (like there essentially is with Carbide C++ - i.e. the express doesn't 'do' icons)??

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated

Cheers

Paul

Super Contributor

Re: Application Icon Missing

There is no "hidden" cost so this should work.
    How did you upgrade the project, did you do it via the built-in conversion or did you re-import the project to VS2005 manually?
    What kind of icon, SVG or bitmap?
    The way resources such as icon is handled as changed a little bit moving from 2003 to 2005, you can now also compile the resource separately, for instance if you have SVG icons defined in a miflist, you can check compile the miflist separately (check the Help).

Thanks Mitts.

I'm using an svg icon and I manually imported the project into VS2005. I'll dig around in the help section and see what I can discover.

Many thanks

Paul

Super Contributor

If it is an SVG icon, then I suspect that you may be missing the .miflist file that lists the svg icons for the app. Check for a file with the extension miflist and if you cannot find it, add it using "Add new item" or "Add existing item" if you still have the old project handy..

If you are moving from 2003 to 2005 on the same machine it is much easier to let Carbide and VS upgrade your project than to import it. Just open your old project (or solution if you have multiple projects) and watch in awe while VS/Carbide upgrade you to 2005/Carbide.vs 3.0.

Watch in awe :-) That made me smile. Not on the same machine regretfully. The original dev was conducted literally 1000's of miles away in VS2003 and I use VS2005 here for other projects (.NET stuff) so had no desire to set up a special install of VS2003. I do have a miflist file filename_reg.miflist. In it I have one line stating:

/c32 ..\gfx\qgn_menu.svg

and in my project, in a folder gfx I have the qgn_menu.svg icon file. Bet whatever the issue is will be silly and easy but can I spot it....

Only just getting to the help file now - like you, we all have to work as well eh :-)

Many thanks

Paul

Super Contributor

How verbatim was the filename for the miflist? filename_reg.miflist would typically not be a valid miflist name unless your project was called "filename"? The resulting mif file needs to be correctly referred to in the "projectname".rss file as well as the .pkg file, check that the naming is in synch for all these.

Sorry - actually called TT100_reg.miflist. In the TT100.rss file I have icon_file = "\\resource\\apps\\TT100_reg.mif"; and in the pkg file I have:
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\TT100_reg.mif"-"!:\resource\apps\TT100_reg.mif"

Bald patch appearing on head...simply doesn't suit me! :-)

The project name is also TT100...

Thanks

Super Contributor

All looks fine! So final question - are you sure the SVG file is not just a white square? Got an svg editor to check?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hmm, may I ask about the phone model you use, and if the application has an icon in the emulator?

Mitts - I guess you had to ask...yes, I'm sure that the SVG file isn't simply a white square :-) I've checked by opening it with Inkscape

Wizard_hu_ - it's an N73 and I haven't tried it in the emulator as I'm waiting to receive some of the libraries I need to run the emulator properly - hopefully later tonight for this.

Thanks

Paul

Am found the section in the help that deals with manual compliation of the mif file. It says words to the effect of right click on the miflist file and select compile...here's the rub, the compile option is greyed out. I also note that the miflist file in the solution explorer of VS2005 has the icon normally associated with a file whose extension is not attributed - I only mention it in case it's a clue.

Thanks

Paul

Super Contributor

If "Compile" is greyed out, could you check the properties for the .miflist (rigth click on the file) and and make sure that the file has not been excluded from the build? Make sure you have a Deb_** build selected when you do this.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Note that the N73 is not a FP1 device, use mifconv /x do create noFP-compatible .mif-s.

Mitts - properties OK - file is not excluded and I've seen that the MIF file is being created (slightly surprised that it's half the size of the original icon however)

Wizard_Hu_ - my head just exploded. Is what you write a command line option? If so, where do I read up on it so that I can work out exactly what to type or is there a location within a VS2005 property page to add what you describe? (sorry, did say I was new to this)

Thanks both

Paul

Bingo!!! :-)

I placed the /x parameter into the miflist file such that it now reads /x /c32 ..\gfx\qgn_menu.svg
    and my icon now appears on the phone.
    Thank you guys - really appreciate your help here - i'd have been completely lost without you.

Cheers

Paul