Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Memory Usage more with S40 devices

Hello Folks,

I am loading 'n' no of images like .png and .jpg in my application and getting OutOfMemory Error especially in S40 devices. I have investigated reagarding the memory usage and came to know some differnt memory usage in differnt devices like..
    Example:
    I have run the same application in Sony errison K750i and memory usage is 591KB and same applcation is run on nokia 6280 and memory usage is 1.3 MB.

Can anyone please help me in what sense the memory usage will differ. Its very urgent pls repsonded ASAP.

Thanks & Regards,
    Murali.

Super Contributor

Re: Memory Usage more with S40 devices

The screen size of K750 is 176x220 pixels and of 6280 is 240x320. I guess the image sizes that you have used should also have increased that could have resulted in little more heap usage in 6280.

May be you should give a try optimising your code
    Efficient MIDP Programming v1.1
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._1_en.pdf.html

How can I reduce the memory footprint of my J2ME application
    http://www.java-tips.org/java-me-tip...-applic-3.html

Regards
    Gopal

Regular Contributor

Thanks for ur reply gopal..

Yes i agree with you gopal.. width, height and color depth will surely make difference in the meory allocation. But whenn i tryed with similar devices like Sony errison(SE) device and Nokia S40 device it is stil giving me the difference..

The testing scenrio is like this::

sc1: I allocated a char buffer for both SE device and Nokia S40 device. The meory usage is less in Nokia device compared to SE device.

sc2: When i allocated a memory for Image( Mutable or immutable Images) using CreateImage method in Image class. The memory usage is More that double in Nokia S40 Device than SE device.

My concern here is to know whether the memory architecture is differening in devices.. If yes how to live with this type of memory architecure measn getting ride of OutOfMemory Error.

Please correct me if i am wrong..
    Please suggest ASAP..

Super Contributor

Since you are comparing devices from 2 different OEM's IMHO, their Virtual Machine implementation will be different and hence that could result in slight memory usage difference while comparing those devices.

Well, again IMHO, you have to test your app in different devices, atleast in one device from a Platform, that could help you to rule out OutOfMemory Error.

Regards
    Gopal

Regular Contributor

Yes gopal its true we have tested this behaviour in maximumn number of platforms. It seems to be OutOfMemory error is coming for our application in S40 devices only. The application is using large number of images and it is working fine in Nokia S60, Motrola, Sony Errison..etc platforms but not in Nokia S40. What it is making difference for S40 devices is the GRAY area which i am working on.. Something difference is there in memory architecture of S40 devices but where is the difference I am not getting.. so, still working on with out any success...
    Can u please help me in this GRAY area..

muralidharvvk, have you solved your problem?
    I think, I met the same issue, but worse... My application takes 200Kbs on Samsungs, 90Kbs on SE and 1800Kbs!!! on Nokia Series 40 5th ed.
    Do anybody have some ideas?

Regular Contributor

I'm having the same issue with my JSR 184 application. Memory requirement doubles for S40 compared to S60 (again, lots of image loading happening)?
    Would you like to share how you got around this problem?