Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Python against C++

Hi Every1,

I am a C programmer. I have tried Symbian C++ and developed one application but don't enjoy coding in C++ and find it hard.

Please pitcg Python against C++ in terms of functionality, difficulty and fun-factor.

Look forward to your responses.

Best,
    wirefree

Re: Python against C++

Quote Originally Posted by wirefree101 View Post
    Hi Every1,

I am a C programmer. I have tried Symbian C++ and developed one application but don't enjoy coding in C++ and find it hard.

Please pitcg Python against C++ in terms of functionality, difficulty and fun-factor.

Look forward to your responses.

Best,
    wirefree
    hi wirefree
    well u r askin abt a comparison between python and c++ in terms of funtionality it is very clear that c++ is very powerful language in terms of funtionality and if u want to start with something easy then python is the best choice.

enjoy pythoning
    exoersist

Nokia Developer Moderator

C++ is Symbian's native and most powerful programming language, but also the most difficult. Python is, in my opinion, a LOT easier to work with. The functionality isn't quite complex, but very close to that of Symbian C++. And much more enjoyable.
    I warmly recommend Python to anyone, beginner or expert.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi wirefree101 and welcome to Pys60,

Symbian C++ is bit tough to begin mobile application development.
    Python for S60 is a open source tool that uses modules and extensions for developing applications. Its simpler and easy to learn then C++. The modules however are written in C++
    For me I describe Python as a rapid mob application developers versatile tool and it has no bounds to developing (Its Growing).

Best Regards
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

Appreciate all your responses.

It has come out as a consensus that Python is a good platform to start with for beginning mobile programmers.

However, I think it is hard for Pys60 members to comment definitely on its abilities. It is a big question.

So I am taking a small example to generate specific responses:

The application I developed in Symbian C++ used a 3rd party implementaion of location API to gather cell-tower broadcasts. It was implemented for 2nd ed. phones only. Even today we are struggling with porting the application to 3rd ed. as the necessary APIs are not available.

The above example illustrates that certain not-so-routine functionalities are difficult to implement even in Symbian's native language. What does this say, if anything at all, about the likelihood of achiving our goals in Python?

How about basic functionalities like scanning installed data access modems like wi-fi, EDGE/GPRS on a handset?

Look forward to your replies.

Best,
    wirefree

Regular Contributor

How about basic functionalities like scanning installed data-access modems like wi-fi, EDGE/GPRS on a handset?
    Would appreciate your responses.