Discussion Board

Thread: USB On-The-Go

USB On-The-Go

Hi, may I know which models of mobile phones supports USB On-The-Go (OTG)? I read somewhere online that the 7900 and 6500 do support USB OTG. Anyone here can confirm?

With the USB OTG, can the mobile phone do serial communication with a USB device?
    Last edited by w2k_83; 2008-01-25 at 05:01.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: USB On-The-Go

Some of the latest Series 40 feature phones (e.g. 6500 Classic , 7900, 8800 ARTE) devices and N810 Internet Tabled support USB OTG, but you have pay a lot attention to supported USB classes. So far only USB digital audio and HID classes in the OTG host mode are supported in S40 devices. N810 is different.

See more:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso...html#universal

All Series 40 and S60 phones with USB ports, have ACM serial comms class supported in USB device mode (non OTG setup). This means that the other end needs to have embedded USB host (like PC) and ACM in the host mode.

Would you have a need for the ACM serial comms in the host mode? Would you also wish that the phone could provide 100mA to your USB gadget?
    [B]Forum Nokia Americas[/B]
    Forum Nokia provides a wealth of resources to mobile developers. To be informed about the latest on mobile tools, devices and technologies, register [B][URL="http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/registration/registration.html"]here[/URL][/B]

Thanks for the reply.

I am currently using a J2ME midlet to do serial communication via the USB cable. Right now, without USB OTG, many S40 phones can support CDC classes. But because a mobile phone is only a slave device, I can only do so with a host PC. So I am wondering if switching to using a mobile phone with USB OTG, I can communicate with another slave device.

Nokia Developer Expert

If you want to communicate from today's phones (USB device) to a non-PC device, then you would implement embedded USB host to your mobile accessory - if you want to get rid of the PC.

Maybe Bluetooth might be more suitable bearer technology today to do phone-2-phone communication and BT also offers full pull & push OBEX.
    [B]Forum Nokia Americas[/B]
    Forum Nokia provides a wealth of resources to mobile developers. To be informed about the latest on mobile tools, devices and technologies, register [B][URL="http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/registration/registration.html"]here[/URL][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by nly View Post
    If you want to communicate from today's phones (USB device) to a non-PC device, then you would implement embedded USB host to your mobile accessory - if you want to get rid of the PC.
    how exactly can you implement this? i mean embedded usb. can this make a mobile phone a usb host?

hi all,i want to develop a device,which get the dvb-h bit stream from radio and send to nokia cellphone to decode and display via usb.but seems that this mode need usb host to nokia cellphone, no s60 series previde this.who can help me?

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by marshorizon View Post
    hi all,i want to develop a device,which get the dvb-h bit stream from radio and send to nokia cellphone to decode and display via usb.but seems that this mode need usb host to nokia cellphone, no s60 series previde this.who can help me?
    There are products that stream TV using TCP/IP to S60 on the market now: Hava and Slingplayer

USB OTG is not available on S60. You could have the DVB-H device stream video to the phone using TCP/HTTP. There are no API's or hardware connectivity that allows using a S60 device as a video screen.

robertnk

thanks robertnk.HAVA and slingplayer are all need internet support,such as wi-fi,gprs,EDGE,HSPDA,but i want develop a device,which recieve dvb-h signal from radio,via base band processing,getting the bit stream, this is finished with hardware,and then send the strem to cellphone via usb port.decoding the codec and vender it with software on cellphone.
    this method need usb host,but as u said,the USB OTG is not available on S60,so seems this method will not realize.maybe the bluetooth is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by robertnk View Post
    There are products that stream TV using TCP/IP to S60 on the market now: Hava and Slingplayer

USB OTG is not available on S60. You could have the DVB-H device stream video to the phone using TCP/HTTP. There are no API's or hardware connectivity that allows using a S60 device as a video screen.

robertnk

hey i'm working on this otg technology.. can anyone help me out with this.. wat about this embedded usb.. any clue??

Question Re: USB On-The-Go

Quote Originally Posted by jack_srb View Post
    hey i'm working on this otg technology.. can anyone help me out with this.. wat about this embedded usb.. any clue??
    Today is Year 2010, any progress for this tech? Can the connect a USB device to phone, and phone is master? Of course, N8 can do it, but how about the other Nokia phones?

Super Contributor

Of any announced Nokia devices, I think the N8 is the only one with USB OTG support. I'm sure there'll be others, too, but for now that's the only one (and even it is not shipping yet).

Quote Originally Posted by ceann View Post
    how exactly can you implement this? i mean embedded usb. can this make a mobile phone a usb host?
    Nokia is already developed a USB Slave support in device because of that only you can able to connect with PC.
    Last edited by arunvsvista; 2010-09-17 at 06:26.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by arunvsvista View Post
    Nokia is already developed a USB Host in device because of that only you can able to connect with PC.
    That doesn't require USB host support, because the PC is the USB host, and the phone is the USB slave.

Quote Originally Posted by nly View Post
    You have pay a lot attention to supported USB classes. So far only USB digital audio and HID classes in the OTG host mode are supported in S40 devices. N810 is different.
    Some 6th Edition phones support mass storage as Series 40 USB host, too. Some do not support audio. Is there any further documentation which phone supports which class and offers how much power?
    Last edited by traud; 2010-10-25 at 16:44.