Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Red face Questions about N95 8GB

Hi guys, I have never work on any of the 3rd edition before and is thus totally new to the idea of cert signing. Hence I have a few questions to ask.

Firstly, i have recently obtained a N95 8GB. Previously i was using the N70 which is a 2nd edition FP3 phone and i was able to use the emulator to test my scripts. I am looking for the emulator for N95 8GB which is a 3rd edition FP1 phone but is unable to find it.

So the question is: is there a emulator for my phone?

Additionally, i understand that to create stand-alone application required some sort of signing. Can anyone direct me what should be done? I went to search on it but was confused with the different types of signings. I was even told that it is only available in Q1 of 2008! help! haha. Would appreciate any type of help given. Sorry for asking such a lousy question.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Questions about N95 8GB

Hi nick_santa83,

3rd Edition FP1 SDK is available!
    Moreover signing is reqd for the pythonscript shell to use more capabilities then the unsigned shell.
    And for making standalone applications you can use the versatile tool ensymble by jethro. Search the forum for ensymble and standalone applications.
    You can get your developer cert from symbiansigned.com ( I guess you can get a cert with 3 year validity)

3rd edition is a lot different then 2nd ed devices

Best Regards
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

wow!! Thanks for the quick reply appreciate that a lot. I went to this link and could not find the download link.
    HTML Code:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia.com/id/ee447e84-2851-471a-8387-3434345f2eb0/Python_for_S60.html
    while it is available at
    HTML Code:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia.com/id/4a7149a5-95a5-4726-913a-3c6f21eb65a5/S60-SDK-0616-3.0-mr.html
    Strange..

Can i still run scripts in my new phone by using a Python interpreter and sending the .py script to the phone, like how it can be done for N70 (2nd Ed)? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nick_santa83 View Post
    Hi guys, I have never work on any of the 3rd edition before and is thus totally new to the idea of cert signing. Hence I have a few questions to ask.

Firstly, i have recently obtained a N95 8GB. Previously i was using the N70 which is a 2nd edition FP3 phone and i was able to use the emulator to test my scripts. I am looking for the emulator for N95 8GB which is a 3rd edition FP1 phone but is unable to find it.

So the question is: is there a emulator for my phone?
    As answering by Croozeus you have to install SDK 3rd FP1 for getting this emulator (Windows only !)

Additionally, i understand that to create stand-alone application required some sort of signing. Can anyone direct me what should be done?
    I went to search on it but was confused with the different types of signings. I was even told that it is only available in Q1 of 2008! help! haha. Would appreciate any type of help given. Sorry for asking such a lousy question.
    No , you are not obliged to sign with a developer certificate for creating a standalone application ! But all sis files(SISX 3rd format is different from sis 2nd !) must be minimum self-signed with a "false" certificate ... With this cert you have very few capabilities and thus interesting functionalities in Python don't work (no keypress module !) It's possible to increase the validity of this self-signed cert at least 30 years
    Developer cert are more interesting and allow you to have until 13 caps instead of 5 self-signed You have to register in the symbiansigned.com site. But soon in Q1 2008 it will be possible to sign inline without possessing a symbian signed cert

I hope that this explanation helps you
    BR
    Cyke64
    pys60 1.4.5 and 2.0.0, pygame, PyS60 CE on E90 and 5800 !

Find my pys60 extension modules on cyke64.googlepages.com

Can i still run scripts in my new phone by using a Python interpreter and sending the .py script to the phone, like how it can be done for N70 (2nd Ed)? Thanks
    Yes of course you can do that on your N95!
    But this time the location of .py files will be in C:\Python as in all 3rd ed devices and you will have to use a file manager to do that as this wont be possible directly from messaging as in 2nd Ed devices!

Happy Pythoning

BR
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

Thank you Cyke64 and Pankaj Nathani for the replies
    I have now installing python for S60. But i can't seem to find the version for 3rd Edition FP1 for my N95. Which is the version that I should download?

What's this for?
    pys60-1.4.2_src.zip

which edition should i download?
    PythonForS60_1_4_2
    PythonForS60_1_4_2_SDK
    PythonScriptShell_1_4_2

I also noticed that there are different versions for the shell script even for the same edition. e.g PythonScriptShell_1_4_2_3rdEd.SIS and PythonScriptShell_1_4_2_3rdEd_unsigned_freedevcert.SIS What are the difference? Help, I'm confused :~
    Last edited by nick_santa83; 2008-01-25 at 17:11.

Hi nick_santa83,

Do not get confused.
    PythonForS60_1_4_2_3rdEd.SIS and PythonScriptShell_1_4_2_3rdEd.SIS are the ones that you need to get for your device
    You can get all of them here
    Moreover as mentioned earlier you can sign your Pythonscriptshell for more capabilities.
    pys60-1.4.2_src.zip contains the source for Python for S60.

Hope that helps

Best Regards
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

thanks a lot think i'm getting it now
    does the emulator's shellscript need to be signed through ensymble as well?
    As for the phone, both the shellscript and PythonForS60_1_4_2_3rdEd.SIS need to be signed?

thanks a lot think i'm getting it now
    does the emulator's shellscript need to be signed through ensymble as well?
    As for the phone, both the shellscript and PythonForS60_1_4_2_3rdEd.SIS need to be signed?
    Hello Nick_santa83

For emulator no signing needed and you can disable platsec and enjoy full power

Only shellscript unsigned must be signed with you dev cert before installing it on device !
    Don't sign PythonForS60_1_4_2_3rdEd.SIS because Nokia has already sign it with max caps (17 more than your poor dev cert !)

BR
    Cyke64
    pys60 1.4.5 and 2.0.0, pygame, PyS60 CE on E90 and 5800 !

Find my pys60 extension modules on cyke64.googlepages.com

Regular Contributor

Thanks a lot Cyke64 My emulator is up but my previous code that runs on my N70 can no longer works. somehow i cannot import camera module. help!

Additionally, i have signed up for www.symbiansigned.com and has downloaded the software and has obtained by key file and security cert. Am i doing the right thing?
    Now, i'm using windows command prompt to sign my shell script. Is it like this:?
    C:\Ensymble> ensymble.py signsis --cert=my.cer --privkey=mykey.key --passphrase=mypassword PythonScriptShell_1_4_2_3rdEd_unsigned_freedevcert.sis PythonScriptShell_1_4_2_3rdEd_signed.sisx
    Last edited by nick_santa83; 2008-01-27 at 18:01.

Hi,

Code:
    C:\Ensymble> ensymble.py signsis --cert=my.cer --privkey=mykey.key --passphrase=mypassword PythonScriptShell_1_4_2_3rdEd.sis PythonScriptShell_1_4_2_3rdEd_signed.sisx
    I had done it this way. Now its fine!

Best Regards
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

Cool! thanks lot to both of u now i can start to play with my N95. It seems that N95 has a lot of cools functions such as its accelerometer and GPS and wifi

However, when i access a HTTP, the phone will automatically allow me to choose the access point (WIFI or GPRS). After selecting it, if the access point is no longer available, and i choose to re-send something, the choose access point options no longer pops up. Does anyone know how to activate this access point menu? Or if it is mentioned elsewhere in the forum, can someone point me to it? thanks alot

Hi Nick_santa83,

Use code to select default access point that omits the task of always manually selecting an access point each time and might solve your problem.

Best Regards
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com