Discussion Board

Confusion between MIDP 2.0 and 1.0

Hi,
    I am trying to develop a mobile application using Java. It requires to access the alarm settings of the phone, a file transfer from PC to phone through bluetooth and extracting data from the received file. Regarding this I've the following questions before I could start coding for it. Please help me out.

1. I've read that one of the advantages of MIDP2.0 over 1.0 isrelated to security settnigs which prevents unauthorized data access. So, if I develop this appli. in MIDP 2.0 envi., will it not allow me to do any of these functions, and therefore should I develop it on MIDP 1.0(if at all it's feasible)?

2. In a few phones (e.g. 6600), there is a bluetooth support but it's mentioned ( NO OBEX). Itried to find something about OBEX, but was unable to nderstand it. So, would this absence of feature prevent the file transfer function of my application?

3. What should be the file format of which can be read both on PC and mobiles which can't read a .doc file? I just need to transmit text and figures in the file.

I would be extremely grateful to anybody who can give a directive reply. Thanks in advance.

Super Contributor

Re: Confusion between MIDP 2.0 and 1.0

If you have a MIDP 1.0 app, it will run as unsigned MIDlet on the phone. So you cannot get around of the API permissions.
    Basically MIDP 1.0 is and old version and old phones might only support that. If you want to program for any newer phones you definitely want to use MIDP 2.

3) use plain ASCII text.

Hartti

Re: Confusion between MIDP 2.0 and 1.0

Thanks for thhis reply. I've started working on MIDP 2.0 only.

3.Regarding this point of text file, I decided to make an XML file in PC and send it to mobile. I think all mobiles will be able to "read" XML files, right? And hope the concept is right, is it?