Discussion Board

Super Contributor

[announce] Ensymble v0.26

Ensymble v0.26 is here. Ensymble is a tool that can be used to make Symbian Installation Packages (SIS files) for PyS60 applications. Ensymble supports S60 3rd Edition phones only.

Changes since v0.25:

• Incorporated a nifty feature by Jari Kirma. Ensymble now supports running the application right after installation, using the new --runinstall option of the py2sis command. Like the option --autostart introduced earlier, this feature only works with applications using non-self-signed certificates!
    • Commands mergesis and signsis no longer choke on extra bytes in input SIS files. The new PyS60 v1.4.2 SIS file contains 1272 extra bytes which confuse earlier versions of Ensymble. Purpose of these extra bytes is not known and removing them seems to have no effect.

Please report any problems, suggestions etc.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: [announce] Ensymble v0.26

Thanks, jethro. That runinstall feature sounds interesting.

The primary benefit of runinstall option is to avoid going through the menus if you have to test the installation package repetitively on a device (like dozens of times over the course of a day). It may be also used as an addition to autostart functionality, making starting of server-style processes fluently automated process after application installation.

Functionality for stopping the application automatically on reinstallation is also possible on SIS files, but I haven't tried to implement it, yet at least... without that, the installer complains about running application and asks if it can be stopped. To guarantee Symbian Signed certification, applications should implement this more gracefully.

Wiki Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by jethro.fn View Post
    [*]Commands mergesis and signsis no longer choke on extra bytes in input SIS files. The new PyS60 v1.4.2 SIS file contains 1272 extra bytes which confuse earlier versions of Ensymble. Purpose of these extra bytes is not known and removing them seems to have no effect.[/LIST]
    Hi Jussi,

Great Was waiting for this release as the mergesis crashed with the pyS60 1.4.2. Will try is as soon as i get time..
    --runinstall is cool too. Thanks

Best Regards
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Super Contributor

There is any code for enable and disable the auto-start with the phone? so I can put an option in the menu ...

Regular Contributor

Question Re: [announce] Ensymble v0.26

I need to copy some files to different directories during the installation. How can I do this with ensymble? Using the source command from py2sis allows only files and directories the the private/uid/ directory. But I want to create a directory on e:/data and copy a file into it. default .py should be on C. How to do this? Ireally miss the .pkg files...

Quote Originally Posted by carknue View Post
    I need to copy some files to different directories during the installation. How can I do this with ensymble? Using the source command from py2sis allows only files and directories the the private/uid/ directory. But I want to create a directory on e:/data and copy a file into it. default .py should be on C. How to do this? Ireally miss the .pkg files...
    try py2sis on your phone http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=123021

Nokia Developer Champion

hi jethro
    this version is really great. really was waitin for that. runinstall is workin great.