Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Emulation / Secure element

So the secure element consists of a Java card (65kB) and a Mifare 4k (4kB).

Let's say I want to use the Java card as a storage area for virtual smart cards and emulate one at a time.
    So here are my questions:
    1. Can I somehow access the Java Card from the Mifare 4k (MFStandardConnection)? ISO14443Connection is not user friendly...
    2. Let's say I want to emulate a DESFire card, how is this done?
    3. Is there a way to make the Mifare 4k-area "shut up" so that a PCD won't detect it and at the same time emulate the DESFire from the Java Applet?
    4. Anyone tried making applets on the Java Card?
    5. The non-programmable UID, can it in fact be _programmable_ as it is saved on the fully programmable Java card in contrast to the Mifare 4k?
    Last edited by alixwarnke; 2008-01-28 at 14:37.

Re: Emulation / Secure element

Quote Originally Posted by alixwarnke View Post

Let's say I want to use the Java card as a storage area for virtual smart cards and emulate one at a time.
    So here are my questions:
    1. Can I somehow access the Java Card from the Mifare 4k (MFStandardConnection)? ISO14443Connection is not user friendly...
    3. Is there a way to make the Mifare 4k-area "shut up" so that a PCD won't detect it and at the same time emulate the DESFire from the Java Applet?
    4. Anyone tried making applets on the Java Card?
    5. The non-programmable UID, can it in fact be _programmable_ as it is saved on the fully programmable Java card in contrast to the Mifare 4k?
    Hi,

1. No you can only use ISO14443Connection to communicate with JavaCard Applets. MFStandardConnection is only used to communicate with the emulated Mifare part of the secure element.
    2. The secure element in the Nokia 6131 is a NXP SmartMX. This IC has a coprocessor for encryption, but I'm not sure if it can handle the same encryption methods as the DESFire card.
    3. No, the SmartMX has a dual interface which means it will emulate a part of the memory as Mifare.
    4. Not yet.
    5. I do not know.

Regular Contributor

Okay!

It says in the technical spec. that the handheld can emulate ISO 14443A-cards (Mifare DESFire is ISO 14443A-compatible) as well as (the more specific) Mifare 1k/4k so my guess is that NXP SmartMX has those capabilities.

Anyway, the secure element will probably be on the SIM-card on future handhelds so I'm not sure it's worth the trip to do tricky implementations on the Java card. Comments?

Edit:
    SmartMX supports DES/3DES:
    http://www.nxp.com/acrobat_download/...on/m018413.pdf
    Last edited by alixwarnke; 2008-01-28 at 15:38.

Anyway, the secure element will probably be on the SIM-card on future handhelds so I'm not sure it's worth the trip to do tricky implementations on the Java card. Comments?
    http://www.nxp.com/acrobat_download/...on/m018413.pdf
    I think this is not even standardized yet and before the handset manufacturers will implement this changes could take a while. I don't know what the purpose is of your application but it could be worthwile to develop your application. By the way on the most sim-card is also a JavaCard platform so the application will be easy portable from the secure element to the sim-card. Just keep in mind to separate the communication with the Mifare/NFC part apart from the logic of the application.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by djdirkj View Post
    I think this is not even standardized yet and before the handset manufacturers will implement this changes could take a while. I don't know what the purpose is of your application but it could be worthwile to develop your application. By the way on the most sim-card is also a JavaCard platform so the application will be easy portable from the secure element to the sim-card.
    I don't think it has been standardized either (I certainly would have read about it by now if it was). It's only for a pilot application by the way. I glimpsed through Java Card API v 2.2.1 and could only find support for different types of encryption, nothing concerning card emulation

Edit: Gemalto's Single Wire Protocol looks like the only candidate for the standardization at ETSI (should be done by now, but haven't found anything on their homepage), their rival candidate NXP withdrew and are now co-developping SWP-based solutions with Gemalto as of april 2007 if I'm not misinformed
    Last edited by alixwarnke; 2008-02-13 at 12:56.

Edit: Gemalto's Single Wire Protocol looks like the only candidate for the standardization at ETSA (should be done by now, but haven't found anything on their homepage), their rival candidate NXP withdrew and are now co-developping SWP-based solutions with Gemalto as of april 2007 if I'm not misinformed[/QUOTE]

The SWP standards appears to be critical to moving NFC forward. Given no handsets are yet available, is there any indication of timescales when handsets will be demonstrated?

Regular Contributor

Apparantly SWP was standardized in october 2007 (no big press releases of this though). NXP and Gemalto will probably have something to present soon... Otherwise StoLPan will in 2009

Hi alixwarnke !
    I'm currently working on a project which the purpose is to emulate a Desfire card, developing an applet in the secure element of a Nokia 6212.
    However, for the moment I don't know how handle the Desfire architecture, so I'm quite stuck, and I'm wondering if you found a way to do it ?

Thank You !

Did you (or anyone else) succeded to do this on SmartMX?

Thanks,

Nir