Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question 3rd Edition Phones with GPS

Hi, I totally new to this technology and has read the User manual for Python for S60 and by using the example there, I am able to get my GPS information listed out but there are some things that I would to find out.

Firstly, do I need to run the Nokia Maps app in my phone before running the script to get my GPS data? I tried once whereby I have already received my co-ordinates in Nokia Maps and the script works. However, the subsequent times that I run the script without running Nokia Maps, I was unable to get my GPS data.

Secondly, I want to extract only the Lat and long from the whole chunk of data. How can i do that?

Pls help me, I searched through the forum already but could find no answer. Would appreciate all kind of help. Thanks.

Thanks to Cyke64 and Croozeus for helping me to get my python up

Regular Contributor

Re: 3rd Edition Phones with GPS

Quote Originally Posted by nick_santa83 View Post
    Hi, I totally new to this technology and has read the User manual for Python for S60 and by using the example there, I am able to get my GPS information listed out but there are some things that I would to find out.

Firstly, do I need to run the Nokia Maps app in my phone before running the script to get my GPS data? I tried once whereby I have already received my co-ordinates in Nokia Maps and the script works. However, the subsequent times that I run the script without running Nokia Maps, I was unable to get my GPS data.

Secondly, I want to extract only the Lat and long from the whole chunk of data. How can i do that?

Pls help me, I searched through the forum already but could find no answer. Would appreciate all kind of help. Thanks.

Thanks to Cyke64 and Croozeus for helping me to get my python up
    Please read PyS60 API documentation regarding positioning module.

Unless you use assisted gps (enabled A-GPS in the phone settings) getting the first location information from positioning API might take long as 20 minutes. This is due to initial start-up delay in GPS receiving.

You don't need any magic tricks (like running Maps application).
    Mikko Ohtamaa

http://mfabrik.com
    http://blog.mfabrik.com

Regular Contributor

Re: 3rd Edition Phones with GPS

thanks a lot