Discussion Board

Express signing : UNI-01 step-7 : system lock

Hello all,

i am testing one application and got stuck at UNI-01 step7 test case of express signing. This test case says "Whilst the application is running in the foreground proceed to activate the System Lock. Verify it is still possible to unlock the phone and return to the application".

Please tell me if anybody knows, how can i system lock when app is in foreground and unlock also??

thanks....

Re: Express signing : UNI-01 step-7 : system lock

i am testing application on S60 3rd ed mobiles.

Montbonnot Saint Martin (near Grenoble) [France]

Hi ajitac,

To activate the system lock on an application go to the device settings (Tools -> Settings) and select Security then "Phone and SIM". Here you can see an "Autolock period" option that should be set to "None", modify the value to "User defined" and select the time you want (usually the minimum (1 minute) for the test purpose). Then you will be prompted to enter the "Lock code", by default on Nokia devices it is 12345. Then the system lock will occur after 1 minute if you do nothing on your phone (in the purpose of the UNI-01 test case, wait one minute doing nothing when application is on foreground). Once locked, you will have only an "Unlock" option that will be linked to left soft key, press it and enter the lock code (12345) to unlock the device.

Edit: to deactivate the system lock, go again to the Settings of the device -> Security then "Phone and SIM" and set back the "Autolock period" option to "None". Notice that the lock code will be prompted again.

Best regards,
    Antoine POULAT from Sogeti.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Lock phone is an item of the menu appearing when you press the power button shortly.

thanks a lot for your quick reply...

Hi again,

Notice that, as a Testing House, we have seen applications that does not override the system lock when actvating it manually (wizard_hu_'s method) but override the automatic system lock (it never occurs). Then it would be good to perform both method.
    However, when reading the Symbian Signed Test Criteria, we can see:
    The application must not inadvertently override the system lock; i.e. unless it is a feature or
    characteristic of the application in line with the user’s expectation.
    It is for example acceptable for a GPS or TV streaming application.

Best regards,

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sogeti View Post
    we have seen applications that do not override the system lock when actvating it manually, but override the automatic system lock (it never occurs)
    I am not sure if it is overridden intentionally. If someone periodically invokes User::ResetInactivityTime - in order to keep backlight on, and preventing screensaver in game for example - it will inherently disable not just the screensaver but the autolock too. Meanwhile the menu-based lock still works, since the original intent has nothing to do with the lock at all.

Hi wizard_hu_,

This is true that there are applications that
    keep backlight on, and preventing screensaver in game for example - it will inherently disable not just the screensaver but the autolock too
    for which behaviour is correct as you said for a game and as I said previously for TV players and GPS for example. But for which the manual lock works.
    However we had one application that was not keeping backlight on, and when backlight is off nothing wrong happens. But if autolock occurs user is not able to unlock the device, it should be rebooted in order to work properly. That is why I said that it is more safe to test against both manual and automatic lock.

Best regards,