Discussion Board

how to render hindi characters in j2me

Is there any way to render hindi characters on canvas in j2me using there unicode values .

Super Contributor

Re: how to render hindi characters in j2me

You can render Hindi Characters if your device's firmware supports Hindi.

I had a previous similar discussion, have a look at this thread http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ighlight=hindi

Regards
    Gopal

can u please give us a clue about rendring of URDU test in J2ME??and how to display list on a key stokr from numeric key pad??for e.g. we want to display a list showing 3-4 urdu alphabets for a single key press in j2ME?reply soon please it's urgent!

In Nokia Asha 305 and 311, I am able to render hindi character on screen. Like, I am able to render it in textfield and in label but while I submit this data I am getting ???? in backend. Can anyone give me hint on any solution for this issue?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mayankmodi View Post
    In Nokia Asha 305 and 311, I am able to render hindi character on screen. Like, I am able to render it in textfield and in label but while I submit this data I am getting ???? in backend. Can anyone give me hint on any solution for this issue?
    Post the code you use to send the text to the backend, and also the code the backend uses to process the data. Somewhere someone along the way does something to the data that it shouldn't, but without seeing all the relevant code, it is impossible to say where the error is.

Here is some of the code snippet.. Also one thing I forgot to mentioned earlier is I am using LWUIT framework.
    My simple textfield on the form is:
    TextField userNameText = new TextField();
    Label userNameLabel = new Label(UtilBean.getMyLabel("Username")); //getMyLabel method will fetch appropriate Hindi conversion of Username from RMS
    loginContainer.addComponent(userNameLabel);
    loginContainer.addComponent(userNameText);

I am able to type in Hindi in this text field and also able to render Hindi value in userName label. So no issue with the rendering. But when I click on Login button at backend side I am getting value entered in this textfield in a format of ???????. I am retriving textbox value using userNameText.getText(). After that I am passing this value to web service for server side authentication.

Few More Inputs:
    This entire flow working fine with the English language. Also, I have submitted hindi data to web service using SOAP UI. It works well.

Nokia Developer Moderator

This is certainly not the code which is sending text over the network. Anyway, remember that XML (and thus SOAP) uses 8-bit character encoding, usually UTF-8. Are you using getBytes("UTF-8") or something similar? Also make sure that the encoding is reverted on the server side.

How to display the data in different language(Hindi)

Hi All,

I am developing an application in j2me for s40 series. I want to change my application font to hindi . Is it possible in j2me? If possible please give me the steps for doing this.

Re: How to display the data in different language(Hindi)

Check the thread suggested in #2, it seems to be a rather deep one with lots of suggested readings.

hi wizard_hu_ this link not opening in my broser http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ighlight=hindi .

If you want to copy the link, do not select the text with ..., but use right-click and "Copy link address" or similar thing. Visual part of the links are shortened automatically, if I put the link here it will again contain a ... part: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=72565
    Most desktop browsers open links on a new tab when you use the middle button, or Ctrl+right click. In case of mobile browsers the trick is usually tapping on the link for a long time, then a menu may appear where you can open the link in a new tab/window.