I'm searching for help for a free software project I'd like to port
It's IMDbPY, a python package (plus GUI) useful to access data
from the IMDb movie database.
I'm pretty new to symbian development, and I still don't have a
complete SDK environment (too lazy to set up a MS Windows PC )
So far I've had some success manually porting it, but I need some
help in many areas (testing, writing code and packaging):
- test the 'mobile', 'http', 'httpThin' data access system, which
retrieve information from the web (I'll try to do some test, but
my data fees are pretty high).
- compile a (quite simple) optional C module, used to speed-up some
- I've successfully tried the 'local' data access system - which fetch
data from a local set of files, but some operations are too slow,
probably for the lack of the above mentioned C module.
- identify every standard library module required by IMDbPY but not
included in the Python for Symbian library.
I've already written ad-hoc replacements for some missing functions,
- build installer, for both 2nd edition FP3 devices (I have a N70)
and 3rd edition devices.
- improve the GUI, originally written by Tero Saarni.
- see if it's possible to use the 'sql' data access system, that
fetch the information from a SQL database (it uses SQLObject to
Using the native Symbian database would be quite difficult, I fear;
the best thing would be to directly access a SQLite db previously
populated on a PC, but I can't find a SQLite port for Symbian.
- write documentation.
In the http://imdbpy.sf.net/?page=mobile page there are
some files you need to start-up, but in these days I've written some
code and spotted some bugs, so the best thing to do is to subscribe
the http://imdbpy.sf.net/?page=devel mailing list and write a mail
summarizing how you want to help.