Discussion Board

N95 battery life with inbuilt SIP client

Hello All,
    I'd like to hear any feedback from people using SIP VOIP on the N95, especially those using it over UMTS data connectivity as opposed to WIFI.
    I get a max of 6 hours battery life when SIP is registered.
    I run a battery power profiling app, and it shows that the sip client is transmitting every 90 seconds or so. My SIP provider has registration set to 10 minutes, and there is NO setting in the N95 SIP client to configure this. Also the profiler shows the transmissions are not exactly the same period, but it varies between 90 seconds and 2 mins or so.
    if anyone has any comments, suggestions etc please don't hesitate to post here.

Regular Contributor

Re: N95 battery life with inbuilt SIP client

Hi,
    I don't think this has much to do with SIP but generally about the data connection consuming battery and that we, unfortunately, know.

I'm not sure if I get your point here, could you clarify a bit...

Regards,
    Jack

Other apps I use on the data connection (Palringo for example) certainly have much longer battery life, and according to the energy profiling app, have much less "chatter" on the data link than the SIP client on the N95, I really do believe this issue is due to an in-built bug of the client that is chattering far too much on the data link, perhaps a hard coded SIP REGISTRATION timeout or similar? some sort of keep alive?

Bump.
    No comments?

Nokia Developer Moderator

hi,

At least sip REGISTER refresh period is not hardcoded. If the server requires re-registering every 10 minutes it will send header: "Expires: 600" in SIP response (200 OK). SIP stack will then send a new re-register request after 5 minutes (600/2 seconds).

Logic goes like this, if I remember right:

if (Expires value > 1200) then a new refresh is sent after Expires - 600 seconds
    if (Expires value < 1200) then the new refresh message is sent after Expires / 2

I think these pretty seldom SIP-register messages don't consume battery that much. Maybe it has something to do with WLAN scanning but I can't tell for sure.

Stack also sends TCP/UDP NAT bind refresh messages. You can try to adjust the period of these messages with VoIP settings tool that is published by Forum Nokia.