Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Question Total Noob questions...

Yes I'm a total noob in regards to Python so sorry if this has already been asked (which it probably has) but I have two questions :-

* I keep reading about using python on an emulator but can't find any download links or any howto's.

* I read about making py files into sisx files using ensemble (sp) but there is no real noob guide.

If you can help me with either then many thanx but please don't flame me as I have searched here, google and other sources and asked several times in other threads but still no answers

Regular Contributor

Re: Total Noob questions...

> I keep reading about using python on an emulator but can't find any download links or any howto's.

Download PyS60 for S60 emulator. You can get S60 emulator by downloading S60 SDK.
    Mikko Ohtamaa

http://mfabrik.com
    http://blog.mfabrik.com

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by miohtama View Post
    > I keep reading about using python on an emulator but can't find any download links or any howto's.

Download PyS60 for S60 emulator. You can get S60 emulator by downloading S60 SDK.
    Any chance of a link please? I have downloaded a few SDKs and nothing works. I have a N93 btw. Thanx mate

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dansco View Post
    Yes I'm a total noob in regards to Python so sorry if this has already been asked (which it probably has) but I have two questions :-

* I keep reading about using python on an emulator but can't find any download links or any howto's.

* I read about making py files into sisx files using ensemble (sp) but there is no real noob guide.

If you can help me with either then many thanx but please don't flame me as I have searched here, google and other sources and asked several times in other threads but still no answers
    Ensymble is used to package .py scripts into installable .sis or .sisx files. Here's how to do it:

1)Make sure you have everything you need (it says on the ensymble site that you need Open SSL binaries (just download them and add them to the environment varaibles path. Just say the word if you need help here)

2)Put the following file into a directory: your python script (for example myapp.py), ensymble_python2.5-0.26, py2sis (which can be found in the PyS60 SDK rar archive) and a key file and a certificate file

3)In Windows command prompt, write this on one line, and press enter

Code:
    python ensymble_python2.5-0.26.py py2sis --uid=0x01234555 --appname=Myapp  --version=1.0.0 --cert=mycertificate.cer --privkey=mykey.key --passphrase=12345 --vendor=myname --verbose myapp.py myapp.sis
    IMPORTANT: Remember to replace names like mycertificate and myname with the actual names.

Sorry if this is confusing. I'm not that good at explaining things.
    Last edited by bogdan.galiceanu; 2008-02-04 at 21:16.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan.galiceanu View Post
    Ensymble is used to package .py scripts into installable .sis or .sisx files. Here's how to do it:

1)Make sure you have everything you need (it says on the ensymble site that you need Open SSL binaries (just download them and add them to the environment varaibles path. Just say the word if you need help here)
    Firstly thanx for taking the time to post. I'm kind of stuck on the first point to be honest mate. Tried to email you but it says you don't accept them so any chance of PM/email me please?

Hi Dansco Welcome to PyS60

You can download the SDK from here

You can find some other useful links in my signature.

Take some time to read the previous posts like this .
    There are already many post in the Forum that may help you to get on.
    Also look on the Wiki for its very resourceful.

Happy Pythoning!

Best Regards
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Firstly thanx for taking the time to post. I'm kind of stuck on the first point to be honest mate. Tried to email you but it says you don't accept them so any chance of PM/email me please?
    Ok, if you want to email me, my address is smartphone6630@yahoo.com

Here's a more detailed explanation of the steps I described earlier:

First of all make a folder in which you place your .py file and
    ensymble_python2.5-0.26.py

On the Ensymble site (http://www.nbl.fi/~nbl928/ensymble.html) is says you need the Stunnel OpenSSL binaries (download here http://www.stunnel.org/download/stun...ib/openssl.zip). Extract that zip archive and put the 3 extracted files in the folder you created earlier. Rightclick My Computer->Properties->Advanced->Environment variables. Here you should see a list that includes "Path". Select "Path" and click the edit button. At the end of the chain of names you'll see, simply add "OpenSSL;" without the quotes.

EDIT: It's been pointed out by jethro.fn that py2sis.py is not needed. I included it here out of habit, because I used to include it in the process. Disregard this edit.

Now you'll need a key and certificate. If you don't know what those are, email me and we'll talk. If you do, add them to the folder with the other files.

Now go to step 3 of my previous post. Good luck.

Again, if you need any help, my email is smartphone6630@yahoo.com
    Last edited by bogdan.galiceanu; 2008-02-05 at 09:16.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan.galiceanu View Post
    If you haven't already, download the SDK archive (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pys...2&big_mirror=0) Inside you'll find another archive, "sdk_files.zip", in which you'll find the file py2sis. Add py2sis in your folder.
    No no no... This step is completely unnecessary. Ensymble replaces everything about py2sis, there's no need to download the PyS60 SDK for this.

Regular Contributor

Thanx again for your help but I keep getting an error saying python can't find the emsymble_python file but it is there. Any ideas?

Also any word on the emulator?

Thanx again for your help but I keep getting an error saying python can't find the emsymble_python file but it is there. Any ideas?

It is spelled ensymble, not emsymble. With an "n". That may be the cause of the error.

I already gave you the link to it in my previous post!

Here is the Emulator !

BR
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by croozeus View Post
    I already gave you the link to it in my previous post!

Here is the Emulator !

BR
    Croozeus
    Thanx again mate, I've downloaded and installed this but still can't find the emulator. What am I doing wrong?!

Thanx again mate, I've downloaded and installed this but still can't find the emulator. What am I doing wrong?!
    Hi Dansco,

Check your installation path. If you have installed it in D: then your path must be D:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\Epoc32\Release\Winscw\Udeb\epoc.exe
    Also you can find it in the Start -> Programs -> S60 Developer tools menu.

Best Regards
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by croozeus View Post
    Hi Dansco,

Check your installation path. If you have installed it in D: then your path must be D:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\Epoc32\Release\Winscw\Udeb\epoc.exe
    Also you can find it in the Start -> Programs -> S60 Developer tools menu.

Best Regards
    Croozeus
    THANX! Sadly I'm having an error message when I click on any of the options in the Tools menu - "Cannot start ECMT manager"

As for the ensymble problem, everytime I try and run it, it comes up with
    "d:\Python25\python.exe: can't open file 'ensymble_python2.4-0.26.py' : [Errno 2] No such file or directory"
    Last edited by Dansco; 2008-02-12 at 14:35.

Super Contributor

As for the ensymble problem, everytime I try and run it, it comes up with

Code:
    "d:\Python25\python.exe: can't open file 'ensymble_python2.4-0.26.py' : [Errno 2] No such file or directory"
              ^^                                             ^^^
    You're trying to run Ensymble for Python 2.4 with an installation of Python 2.5. Get the right version of Ensymble and try again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast