Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How should I obtain a Publisher ID?

Hi all,
    I need a publisher ID for my application which uses the capability 'ReadDeviceData'.
    How do I go about obtaining one? Is it free or does it involve some payment.
    Can anyone provide a straightforward link which can help me in this?
    Thanks in advance...

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How should I obtain a Publisher ID?

have you checked the www.SymbianSigned.com, I'm sure they have full explanations on all steps you need to do.

I have been through it. I do not want to get my application deployed as of now. I only want to test it on my end and see if my application works. The functionality of the capability I am using can only be realised on a device. Do i have to spend some money just to test it on my device?

I'm still rather sure that all answers for signing issues could be found from the www.SymbianSigned.com, and there should be free options for signing in one device.

Ok, I'll do the reading for you.

Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://developer.symbian.com/main/downloads/files/TheCompleteGuideToSymbianSigned.zip"]The Complete Guide to Symbian Signed[/URL], Page 7
    ... Symbian Signed gives developers different options for getting their applications signed.
    • Open Signed makes it easy for developers to sign applications for limited deployment to known devices, either for testing or for personal use. Deployment is restricted by device IMEI.
    • Express Signed offers a fast and cost effective signing route for most applications, with some restrictions on the Capabilities available. There is no requirement for independent testing prior to signing for those developers who own a Publisher ID and are releasing commercial software. Developers without a Publisher ID (e.g. freeware and shareware) can also feasibly access this signing option via publisher distribution channels.
    • Certified Signed provides access to all but Device Manufacturer Capabilities, but requires applications to be submitted for independent testing. Certified Signed applications are entitled to use the ‘for Symbian OS’ logo to aid differentiation and brand building. ...
    Ok, so you are prototyping an app to be used on several test devices. Open signed is just the thing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://developer.symbian.com/main/downloads/files/TheCompleteGuideToSymbianSigned.zip"]The Complete Guide to Symbian Signed[/URL], Page 7
    ... The costs of the different options vary depending on whether a Publisher ID is required, and on whether independent testing is required. Open Signed, where neither is required if signing online, is free. ...
    Open and free. Yupee! But it has to be the online version. A guide on "How to Sign Applications Using Open Signed — Online Without a Publisher ID" is available starting with page 11.

All this sounds nice except but ... the Open Signed Online is currently in "is coming soon" status.

What Symbian Signed fails to advertise is that for now signing works just as before through the open signed offline where the need for a PublisherID is not yet enforced. So,

1. Create a Symbian Signed account
      Free of charge but you need to have a valid email address. By valid it means one that can be traced to you, not a free web based account.
    2. Login to Symbian Signed
    3. Download the DevCertRequestTool
    4. Create a certificate request
      With no Publisher ID the following restrictions apply: only one IMEI, only 13 capabilities.
    5. Submit the request on the site
    6. Download the certificate
    7. Log out.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2008-02-21 at 08:12.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

But (as of today) it now says that you CANNOT get a devcert without a Publisher ID.

I've tried to wade my way through the SymbinSigned docs, but the site is dreadfully slow, and so poorly organized making it effectively inscrutable.

If I understand things correctly, they have now created a chicken and egg situation making it impossible for me to develop for the S60 3rd edition platform.

1. You need to have your app tested and approved to get a cert
    2. You need a cert to develop your app and install it on an S60 3rd edition phone

So I need to submit the app for approval before I'm able to develop and test the app. I can't get a devcert without the app and I can't develop and test the app without the cert.

How does one get past this?

There's nothing else to do but wait for the Open Signed Online to go live.

Well, i dont know why does nokia have to be tied with Symbian restrictions !!!
    Nokia is developing best selling cellphones accross the world, and at this stage i think all nokia customers using S60 v3 are frustrated and unable to enjoy their devices !! and i am one of them who spent 1000USD$ on my E90 and am only trying to test and use very low-end applications that will make life easier for me !! still i cant do that because of people in Symbian... this is not acceptable at all ..and if this keeps on going.. i think Abu Dhabi and Dubai investors will look to nokia from a different point of view..and will reconsider the whole company !!

1) You are not a developer therefore your point of view should be expressed on a forum dedicated to end-users, like http://discussions.europe.nokia.com

2) If you want to buy Symbian/S60 applications try the Downloads! application on your phone or some on-line software markets. Freeware applications are also available through the same channels.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Question Re: How should I obtain a Publisher ID?

I am a bit confused, how much it will cost to develop a small application? ( for 40 users for example )

Depends on what you're doing. The cost can be 0€ but on the other extreme you may have to set-up a company, get a PublisherID, sign the application ... add those costs yourself.

I hope it is clear to you that not all the apps need to be certified, you can sign the applications yourself if they do not need capabilities which make the certification mandatory.

P.S. It is not that relevant how many users you will have, 40 or 4000000. Are you going to develop this application for profit or freeware? Freeware applications can be certified for free.
    -- Lucian

i am in exactly the same situation of gods_m and firasdxb
    plz if any of you have found a way to get around that publish ID i would be grateful for you

i have just bought E63 for my graduate project and just want to develop small application on it but wow it is like a dream to offer any thing for a symbian C developer, i have developed application for both Android and iPhone and both offers developer help
    starting from the
    //-------------------------------------
    installation phase
    iphone == next and i agree operation to install the SDK
    Android ==> complete page about how to get sdk work with you eclipse
    but symbian on the other hand
    you have to install Carbide , SDK , perl "specific version" and also workspace must be at certain location
    //-------------------------------------
    memory leaks handling phase
    Android ==> java , no need
    iPhone ==> simulator have a tool that describe the memory leaks of your application , points to the line that generates the memory leak , state the size of that leak
    you have to install dummy hooklogger that generates dummy text file --describing the memory allocation and free process and you have to figure out where the leaks have taken place -- after a hell of an installation process
    //--------------------------------------
    the new Certificate s**t
    in Android the certificate is free and done automatically when you install the sdk and you don't have to worry about it in the future
    iphone ==> never heard that Certificate word there but you will have to go a long process with apple company if you want to make commercial products
    you have to get the dummy certificate s**t which is not free as they said
    it is not free when you can't have a simple program to run with a need for a simple capability which of course requires the **** publish ID even if you are just a student in college trying to deploy a simple project

i normally don't write long comments but i have it with that symbian **** nothing for developer but course have the pride to work with the best embedded OS ****

one rather bad way would be to utilize test range UID. Though not recommended propably, but would at least be one way to overcome the problem, but of course then all users are required to do the signing at symbian signed by them selves, most wont do that, but supricingly many will.

to get a publisher ID, you can go to that site

the website is created by nokia to provide a way for signing your application
    also that blog can help you deploy your application for free

a clarification is due: the Symbian Signed certification process (http//www.symbiansigned.com) was provided by Symbian Ltd. and it is now provided by the Symbian Foundation. As a manufacturer Nokia is indeed part of the certification process.
    -- Lucian