Discussion Board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: How should I obtain a Publisher ID?

Dear All,
    I am totally agree with ahmdalitaha. I see that the problems he has faced a long time ago are still present. In my situation all I wanted was to develop a simple custom input language application since Nokia sold me a full qwerty keyboard phone (E72) without any support to Bulgarian input letters. Shame on you Nokia.
    Anyway I've decided to include this support by myself and make it available as freeware to all others in my position, even though we all had paid to Nokia. This was the most obvious decision, since everybody was going benefit from it, furthermore the greatest benefit was going to be for Nokia .

Somehow I found a solution (FepExample) and tried to implement it. As a beginner I needed to do some trial and error test, but the Eseries simulator plug-in was not able to simulate all E72 keys exactly. It appeared that I need to test it on the device.With self-signed FepExample .sis file using UID 0xE0000000 I got "Requested application access not granted" error message during installation. The Open Signed Online service response was:
    The .sis file contains capabilities that are not permitted for Open Signed (Online).

I feel so frustrated, it is almost impossible to get around this certification whirlpool. I don't want to pay extra for my labour to become certified developer or whatever you call it!

If you do all this certification stuff for security reasons it makes nonsense - you take bad example from Windows! I mean FSF does not have any certification procedures, to my knowledge, and yet they have one of the most secure software, because:

1. Everybody can read the code.
    2. Everybody can examine the code.
    3. Everybody can correct the code.
    4. Everybody can modify the code.
    5. Everybody can use the code.

These guys have those project web pages where you go, download, compile and run the program. As simple as that.

People working for Nokia must understand something. If they want to benefit from the community/individuals they must give something real to the community/individuals, not just post their existing code on wiki pages and regulate who can benefit from it. It is bilateral cooperation process.
    If you don't get this I see yet another failed attempt to get back on track called MeeGo.

Personally, once I solve my keyboard issue (if I am able to), I won't develop anything else for Nokia. If not I will switch to some other smartphone brand that comes with full input support to my native language by default. I don't want to waste my precious time anymore.

Sorry for the long post, but it took me two days to realise all these issues concerning my situation. Just wanted to share my experience with others.

Many thanks

Alkin Nasuf

Nokia Developer Moderator

Besides that you have not read the answers (since you assume that Nokia is the root of the certification process), note that (Forum) Nokia is working on lowering this barrier. See http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/nokia-developer-news, http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/no...bian_apps_beta in particular.
    You may also like http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/no...ovi_publishers
    Symbian has something too: http://horizon.symbian.org

Jumping around and yelling about freedom and open source is a bit funny from you, because this is your second post on FN ever, and the first one (2-3 days ago) was about insisting to get the non-existing Carbide.vs plugin for the (apparently evil) Microsoft Visual Studio, meanwhile the existing, completely free and much more capable Carbide.c++ is based on open source projects.

Regular Contributor

That means the main (evil) purpose of the symbian foundation is to suck out the blood of the developers by enforcing them to buy their valuable certificates. Shame on symbian foundation. Is it all the meaning of open source?

That is not entirely correct, mandatory signing was introduced in 2005, while SF was founded in middle 2008. So they got this glorious signing hell as an attachment.

As well as SF is not seelling the certificates, check their site for the actual information on where you can purchase the certificates required.

Regular Contributor

Whatever this is SF, Nokia, Sony Ericsson or any other organization, they should not do this or at least with a cheaper price. I think u Forum Nokia Champions have the opportunity to communicate with them, if so then pls deliver our message to them. It's the cry for millions of symbian developers.
    Last edited by adhossain; 2010-08-04 at 08:40.

Nokia is aware of the problem and it makes it now possible for you to sign your application for free. You cannot get cheaper than that.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Champion

Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Regular Contributor

"Sign application for free" Do u mean Open Signed?

Quote Originally Posted by adhossain View Post
    You can find many related links in #17. If you do not read them, that is not our or SF's problem.
    And Kiran has also posted his own story in #23, though it happened more or less the same time when you have posted your question.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by adhossain View Post
    Read my post below where I have written down my experience in a blog entry.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kiran10182 View Post
    Read my post below where I have written down my experience in a blog entry.
    Thanks a lot. I didn't know about the publishing method on ovi. This is the only way to deliver my application.
    Well done ovi store.