Discussion Board

E65 built-in sip client over IPsec VPN (over 3g)

Hello, I'm trying to setup a SIP connexion over an IPsec VPN (in this case, VPN over 3G)

The 3G connexion appears in the list, but not the VPN access point setup "over" it, is it a bug, a deliberate position, or am I missing something ?

In this case it is not only important for VoIP over 3G, but for security of calls made over unsecure Wireless LAN acces points...

By the way, I can use the VPN connexion whithout any problem for web browsing et al.

Best regards,

Clement.

Regular Contributor

Re: E65 built-in sip client over IPsec VPN (over 3g)

If I understood correctly you can't get SIP working while you have a VPN connection? I've had no problems in it so atleast it should work.

Jack

Hi,

I'm working with Clement on this subject and after your answer I tried again, thinking we had misconfigured something but I still reach the same point : SIP calls cannot be made through a VPN connection, does anyone have a clue to solve this problem ?

thanks in advance.

Nicolas.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi,
    Signaling works nicely in VPN so setting SIP profile to use VPN connections should be possible. I've tested SIP over VPN in couple of devices such as N95 and E60 with good results. But in order to make VOIP calls you will need WCDMA or WLAN access thus transferring RTP traffic requires it.
    Last edited by juhanak; 2008-02-29 at 22:48.

Hi

This thread seems to be a bit old, but I'll give it a try anyway.

It seems I am trying the same thing, getting the integrated SIP client to work over an IPsec connection, but on an N85. I managed to get the VPN working, as I can verify using the webbrowser (just using the browser to initiate the IPsec connection). I then defined the SIP account to use the "Intranet" destination and when I enable the SIP provider, it asks me which VPN access point use. I then select the correct access point, I can see that it connects to the available WLAN, but then a few seconds later it asks again which access point to use.

The VPN logfile just says something in the sense of "Activated VPN access point..." and a few seconds later "Deactivated VPN access point...". But when I sniff the traffic on the router, I can see that the phone connects to the WLAN, requests an IP using DHCP, but does not send a single packet after receiving an IP but instead disconnects again.

Jack, if you got it working, could you let me know how exactly you managed to make SIP work over IPsec?

Thanks a lot.

Roman

Other option to try is to test it with SymVPN.
    It is not an IPSec VPN, it is PPTP VPN, but you can investigate this option too if it is possible to use PPTP in your conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by twisla View Post
    Hello, I'm trying to setup a SIP connexion over an IPsec VPN (in this case, VPN over 3G)

The 3G connexion appears in the list, but not the VPN access point setup "over" it, is it a bug, a deliberate position, or am I missing something ?

In this case it is not only important for VoIP over 3G, but for security of calls made over unsecure Wireless LAN acces points...

By the way, I can use the VPN connexion whithout any problem for web browsing et al.

Best regards,

Clement.
    I tried connecting Nokia N85 as SIP client to Cisco router over IPSEC VPN. I got the same issue. Here is what I found

--> when using VPN to connect to the router (1760) , phase 1 negotiations work but then Phone drops the phase 2 by sending DELETE payload to the router (dont know the reason yet)
    If the router is set to retry the negotiations, you will get the second invite and hence the prompt to choose the connection again
    --> Tried doing simple plain VPN to the router using Phone and you can do that by invoking the web application to use the web browser. Both Phase 1 and Phase 2 completes and phone can do VPN into the router. In my case I can not route to internet from there on as it show Web: gateway no reply error (may be a routing issue)
    --> I can connect to the router the phone as SIP client over LAN without any problems.

With above findings I beleive issue is with nokia phone or some settings when using it as SIP client over IPSEC.
    There is no documentation or help on this and could not get any pointers as how this can/will work...
    If someone know anything about it ... please kindly help...
    Thanks.

Nokia Developer Champion
    If everything fails, Nokia offers paid technical support for everyone …