Discussion Board

Creating PyS60 extensions

Hi.

I'm trying to learn how to create PyS60 extensions for my Nokia N95. To get started, I tried to follow the instructions on http://wiki.opensource.nokia.com/pro...ing_extensions, but it seemed a bit outdated.
    Instead, I downloaded the uikludges source for 3rd from http://ssalmine.googlepages.com/somepys60extensions and tried running the build_emulator.bat script:

# SCRIPT START
    pushd .
    cd symbian\src\
    bldmake bldfiles
    call abld reallyclean winscw udeb
    call abld build winscw udeb
    popd

copy python\uikludges.py %SDKFOLDER%\Epoc32\winscw\c\resource
    copy python\test_uikludges.py %SDKFOLDER%\Epoc32\winscw\c\python
    copy %SDKFOLDER%\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\_uikludges.pyd %SDKFOLDER%\Epoc32\winscw\c\sys\bin\_uikludges.pyd
    # SCRIPT END

I got the following error message:

make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\uikludges\symbian\src\EXPORT.make" CLEANEXPORT VERBOSE=-s
    Nothing to do
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\uikludges\symbian\src\WINSCW.make" CLEAN CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    make -s -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\uikludges\symbian\src\UIKLUDGES\WINSCW\UIKLUDGES.WINSCW" CLEANUDEB
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\uikludges\symbian\src\WINSCW.make" CLEANALL VERBOSE=-s
    perl -S ermdir.pl \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\uikludges\symbian\src\UIKLUDGES\WINSCW\

make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\uikludges\symbian\src\EXPORT.make" EXPORT VERBOSE=-s
    Nothing to do
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\uikludges\symbian\src\WINSCW.make" MAKEFILE VERBOSE=-s
    perl -S makmake.pl -D \Symbian\Carbide\workspace\uikludges\symbian\src\UIKLUDGES WINSCW
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\uikludges\symbian\src\WINSCW.make" LIBRARY VERBOSE=-s
    make -s -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\uikludges\symbian\src\UIKLUDGES\WINSCW\UIKLUDGES.WINSCW" LIBRARY
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\uikludges\symbian\src\WINSCW.make" RESOURCE CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    make -s -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\uikludges\symbian\src\UIKLUDGES\WINSCW\UIKLUDGES.WINSCW" RESOURCEUDEB
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\uikludges\symbian\src\WINSCW.make" TARGET CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    make -s -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\uikludges\symbian\src\UIKLUDGES\WINSCW\UIKLUDGES.WINSCW" UDEB
    make -r -f "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\Carbide\workspace\uikludges\symbian\src\WINSCW.make" FINAL CFG=UDEB VERBOSE=-s
    0 file(s) copied.
    0 file(s) copied.
    The system cannot find the path specified.

Can anyone please help me on how to proceed?
    Where can I find up-to-date guides on how to create extensions for PyS60?

Regular Contributor

Re: Creating PyS60 extensions

Without going into details, I suggest you to try to learn building "normal" native Symbian applications first.

Here is unfinished tutorial:

http://wiki.opensource.nokia.com/pro..._using_Carbide

Please feel free to finish it
    Mikko Ohtamaa

http://mfabrik.com
    http://blog.mfabrik.com

Thanks for your reply.

I have now tried building uikludges with Carbide.

When building for emulator, I first got some warnings about frozen files. Then I selected Freeze Exports and tried building again and it seemed successful (but I have not yet tried uikludges in the emulator).

However, when building for phone, I got the error:
    "arm-none-symbianelf-ld: \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\ARMV5\LIB\python222.dso: No such file: No such file or directory"

I searched the forum for a solution for the python222.dso problem, but I was not successful with them.
    Instead I made a copy of the file "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\ARMV5\LIB\python222{000a0000}.dso" and renamed the copy to "\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\ARMV5\LIB\python222.dso".
    After that, I got no errors or warnings during the build (but I assume the file will end up in \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\gcce\urel\_uikludges.pyd and not in \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\_uikludges.pyd as the tutorial says, right?).

What is the correct solution to the error I got (python222.dso missing)?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by phishboh View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

I have now tried building uikludges with Carbide.

When building for emulator, I first got some warnings about frozen files. Then I selected Freeze Exports and tried building again and it seemed successful (but I have not yet tried uikludges in the emulator).

However, when building for phone, I got the error:
    "arm-none-symbianelf-ld: \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\EPOC32\RELEASE\ARMV5\LIB\python222.dso: No such file: No such file or directory"

What is the correct solution to the error I got (python222.dso missing)?
    I think I never got this error. 9.2 is beta and doesn't work perfectly. I recommend trying with 9.1.

Also, I think I never run freeze exports step
    Mikko Ohtamaa

I'm trying to develop software for my Nokia N95, and I read the following on the SDK download site:
    "Nokia N95 multimedia computer is the first device based on S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1 plaform. Download the S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1 SDK to innovate on this advanced device!"

On wikipedia, I read "S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1 phones have Symbian OS 9.2. Nokia phones with Symbian OS 9.2 OS: Nokia N75, Nokia N76, Nokia 6120 Classic, Nokia E90, Nokia N95, Nokia 5700, Nokia N81, Nokia E51".

So, as I understand it, I'm supposed to use 3rd Edition FP 1/Symbian 9.2 for my N95.

Wiki Moderators

Hi phishboh,

As miohtama already quoted Symbian 9.2 SDK is beta (Still under testing) so you had better use 3rd Ed FP1 SDK for your N95 and see if still you face the same problem.

Best Regards
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Regular Contributor

Sorry, I confused feature packs and Symbian version numbers. S60 SDK 3.0 FP2 is beta, doesn't work. Use S60 SDK 3.0 FP1.
    Mikko Ohtamaa

OK, now I have succeeded in building the uikludges source code using Carbide. I tried the \Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\_uikludges.pyd functionality in the emulator and it works as expected. Unfortunately, I run into problems when trying the \Epoc32\release\gcce\urel\_uikludges.pyd on the phone.

What I did was:

python C:\Symbian\Ensymble\ensymble.py py2sis
    --cert=C:\Symbian\Ensymble\devcert.cer
    --privkey=C:\Symbian\Ensymble\devcert.key
    --passphrase=(my passphrase)
    --appname="uikludges"
    --version=1.0.0
    --uid=0x01234567 --caps="LocalServices+Location+NetworkServices+PowerMgmt+ProtServ+ReadDeviceData+ReadUserData+SurroundingsDD+SwEvent+TrustedUI+UserEnvironment+WriteDeviceData+WriteUserData"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\gcce\urel\_uikludges.pyd"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\gcce\urel\uikludges.sis"

When I try to install the sis file on the phone, I get "Required application access not granted". I have been using the same certificate to sign my PyS60 installation.

Questions:
    1) Is that the correct way to install the PyS60 extension, i.e., make a sis file and then install it on the phone? If not, how should I do?
    2) What could be the reason for the above access error?
    3) What is the effect of my renaming a copy of python222{000a0000}.dso to python222.dso, to make the phone release build?

For my information,

it seems like I finally succeeded in compiling the uikludges source code and running it in the emulator and on the phone.

To make it work on the phone, I followed the instructions on http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...tall_libraries and ran python ensymble.py simplesis uikludges.

Then I installed it on the phone after signing the sis-file with my certificate:
    python C:\Symbian\Ensymble\ensymble.py signsis
    --cert=C:\Symbian\Ensymble\devcert.cer
    --privkey=C:\Symbian\Ensymble\devcert.key
    --passphrase=(my passphrase)
    --execaps=0xff030
    --dllcaps=0xff030
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\gcce\urel\uikludges_v1_0_0.sis"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\gcce\urel\uikludges_v1_0_0_ensymble_signed.SIS"

Not much of a step for mankind, but still...