Discussion Board

ActiveScheduler and a Chat Application

So I've been tasked with developing a chat application for one of my classes. I am (obviously) going to use an active scheduler to help with the networking side of this guy. My question is, how do I use the AS to listen for the server's notifications of a new message arriving. The protocol we have implemented allows the client to notify the server of new messages and then the server will rebroadcast this message to all of its connected clients. I need to "listen" for that somehow.

Any ideas?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: ActiveScheduler and a Chat Application

Look for sockets example in SDK, both reading and writing from/to the socket is covered.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Look for sockets example in SDK, both reading and writing from/to the socket is covered.
    I understand how to do it functionally, but logically is where I am having my questions. In a more logic based approach, how do I have the scheduler wait for another response?

Also, is it a good idea to encapsulate the network side of this project in its own class?

Edit: Let me elaborate - the examples deal with things such as a http request that will immediately return *something*... so when the scheduler goes from a send to a a receive it is guaranteed to get something. In my case it isn't and the client just needs to hold tight and wait until 1) the user does something or 2) the server sends a new message notification.
    Last edited by nichojo; 2008-02-10 at 21:30.

Nokia Developer Moderator

The Active Scheduler is an "infinite" loop, which invokes RunL-s for Active Objects having a completed request. So the AS itself has nothing to do with API details of sockets or anything else, and it will definitely not cause any loss of data or pending events.
    Depending on the SDK you use, you can usually find a chat-like example in S[eries]60Ex\sockets (in case of S60 1st and 2nd edition), or S60Ex\Chat (in S60 3rd edition).